Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hey! Tell Me What You Think!

For the first time ever I have no clue what to title my new WIP. Seriously, no clue. I can think of no simple word or phrase to sum up the main idea or theme, not even a string of pretty words.

Currently, my working title is "That SciFi Book." That is only my working title because "That Murder-Mystery Set in Space SciFi Book" is too long.

Then I thought: Hey! The Beatles! What problem can't they solve?!

So...what do you think of Across the Universe as a title?

I'd be totally kosher with it, except for that movie. To be honest, I'm tired of comparisons (having had a character named Belle, I sort of want to stab Twilight with a wooden stake).


And, you know, that whole comparison thing is just a train I don't want to ride. I can already picture it: "Hey, I like your story, but did you know that your title is just like that song/movie?"

But....those lyrics....they do actually fit with the theme of my novel. Like many Beatles's songs, they have a poetry quality to them.
[deleted lyrics to avoid copyright infringement]

So, what do YOU think? Is Across the Universe a good title for a book--or too close to what's already there?

16 comments:

Captain Hook said...

I don't see a problem with it, but I've also never heard of the song/movie with the same title.

Reverie said...

nope. no problem. I wouldn't thing about it twice. Go with your gut instinct. that's my motto!

@GeekWillow said...

If it works for the story, go for it.

If you get too stuck on it, you could always do what I saw on another blog. The author put up a short description of the story and the main character and opened it up to her readers to come up with a great title. As a prize, the author put the winner in the book as a minor character. They received so many awesome titles and eventually found one that they absolutely loved.

Here's the blog: http://fictionistas.blogspot.com/2009/02/pick-my-title-and-become-character-in.html

lotusgirl said...

I tend to avoid something that's already been done, but it's hard to avoid everything. Titles often change in the publishing process anyway, don't they? Seems to me the publisher would have you change it if it's a problem.

Jennifer said...

If you like it, go with it. If publishers think it needs to be changed, they'll do what they need to do. But if you like it, go with what you want. :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I think it works. Do what you love and works for your story. Titles change when editors get a hold of them anyway. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Across the Universe is good but...

I really like
The Sci-Fi Murder Mystery
It's getting my vote.

About Me said...

Agree w/ everyone else. Don't get too caught up on titles, they will likely change.

Davin Malasarn said...

Even though a title can change, I think it can be nice to have one if it keeps you focused and motivated. I wouldn't worry about the fact that other people have used it in the past. I swapped titles around on my book for the first four years of its life, then I finally found one that stuck and that other people, including agents, have liked.

Bowman said...

"having had a character named Belle, I sort of want to stab Twilight with a wooden stake"

Sorry for you loss, and I hope it doesn't happen to me.

Across the Universe sounds fine.

C.R. Evers said...

I know there are several books out with the same title. You could always use it for now, and change it later of you think of something that you like better.

Christy

Robyn Campbell said...

Hmm, I'm reading this and I have the perfect name, Star Trek, sounds great but I believe its been done too! Assassin of the Heavens? Heck, I'm no good at this! :)

Angela Ackerman said...

I say go for it. At this point you want your title to convey the events or theme as much as possible. Later on an agent or editor will let you know it if needs changing.

Keri Mikulski said...

Do it! Love the title. :)

Unknown said...

I am having some troubles with comments! Argh--just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their feedback!

Christina Farley said...

I like the title and never heard of the movie. But I've heard not to worry about titles. STILL, a title can be really catchy and that in itself can get agents and editors interested in reading your material. A bad title could totally turn them off.