Monday, March 9, 2009

Casual Observations

It is too early in the morning for me to come up with something intelligent to say (I WANT MY HOUR BACK, DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. You're going on the list with Wyoming.)

So, here are some casual observations I've made recently:
  • Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist the movie is a pale imitation of the book. Kind of like seeing a brilliant piece of artwork in an old textbook versus seeing it in real life. They look the same, but the colors, feel, emotion of it is all different.
  • The writer of this letter makes me mad, much in the same way as politicians who make educational policy: neither the letter-writer nor politicians realize how stupid they are, and how much they actually hurt real professionals.
  • Dust of a Hundred Dogs has been surprisingly romantic. And violent, even for a pirate. I am surprised at how sympathetic I am to Emer/Saffron. I suspect I would dislike this character in real life, but actually, I kinda want to cuddle her. Like a puppy. Hmm...maybe that's the real Dog Fact #9.
  • Sometimes I hate writing. Like when revision time rolls around. But sometimes, I love it. Like now. When I find myself sneaking away from doing things I'm supposed to be doing (dusting, cooking, school work) and instead sneak my laptop open to type some more of the story. No kidding: the husband took away my laptop so I could finish school work first.

17 comments:

Bowman said...

Wouldn't it be worse if the writer knew how much he hurt real professionals? Instead of ignorant, he'd be cruel.

Tabitha said...

The writer of that letter irritates me, too, but she'd only make me mad if she refused to learn. After all, we all have to start somewhere. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I'm looking forward to your review of D100D. And then you can read my review :)

Is the writer of the letter hurting real professionals? Or helping them? After all, this is what statistics are built on.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Wow, you sound just like me, hehe. And you took my post idea from last week. HAH! Yep, too tired to do anything intelligent, so I just posted links and random things. Isn't it great!

I sneak away, too. It's pathetic, but that's what we do! We're writers. It will pay off one day, I hope!

C.R. Evers said...

I hate daylight savings time too. I love my sleep too much.

I sneak away too. I have an unhealthy dependancy on my laptop.

Christy

Robyn Campbell said...

I hate daylight savings time. And since yesterday I've been sneaking away too, for sleep!

But I bet your students will be glad your hubby did that--one day!

Davin Malasarn said...

It makes me happy to hear that you are in love with writing at the moment. I was away from my computer all weekend, so I'm dying to write, but I just found out I have to prepare a presentation. This won't actually keep me from writing, but it layers on the guilt while I'm doing it.

Anonymous said...

Have fun writing! Husbands taking away laptops must be overthrown! Mine did the exact same thing.

Unknown said...

Justus: Yeah, you're write. I think it was the stubbornness of the tone that really got to me.

Tabitha: You're so optimistic (love that!). You're write--it's very true we have to start somewhere. It's just that tone that got to me...

PJ: I will admit that I thought the start of it was a little slow. I'm at the part where they move into the trailer...liking that. And poor Seanie!!

Glam: Maybe I shouldn't also mention that I secretly want to steal the quote you have at the bottom of your blog, too? :)

Christy: Yeah...I knew I had a problem when I was sneaking away...sometimes I've just got to turn it off!!

Robyn: Hope you got some rest!

Davin: I totally understand. I had such a crazy hectic week before the snow that I was like that--wanting to write, but drowning in responsibilities. Hope it gets better for you!

Vivian: Thanks! I did seriously consider stabbing him in the eye, but I think that was just the influence of Dust of a 100 Dogs... :)

Keri Mikulski said...

Urgh.. Daylight savings time. I'm with you. :)

Pen Pen said...

I didn't even know 'Nick and Norah' was a book first! ...I feel out of it now. :)
I'm trying to revise my stuff right now -and avoiding it by blogging----hmmm....

lotusgirl said...

I'm SO with you on the daylight savings time. Ugh!!!

Unknown said...

Keri and Lois: I just wish we could pick a time and stick to it!

Pen: Ha! Well, at least now you've got a great book to look forward to. (And the plot is different enough that you might not catch the ending).

Tabitha said...

Yeah, I guess I am quite the optimist. Always have been, so I guess I always will be. :)

About Me said...

The writer of the letter is clueless. That's sad to say but true.

Hate daylight saving times. I'm still trying to recover.

Christina Farley said...

We don't have day light savings time here but I remember when it would happen and its always so weird. That is funny about your husband taking your laptop away.

Unknown said...

Tabitha: Good for you! I usually am...but mess with my sleep....

Crimey: So right!

Christina: Funny--it was mean! Nah, you're right...sometimes I do need an intervention :)