Monday, January 24, 2011

Answers, Part 1: Fun Questions and Stuff About Me

So, back in December, I asked you guys to ask me questions for me to answer. And I didn't forget about it--I mean, not really. Anyway, a month later: here's the answers!

Also: at first I didn't think this would take that long, but then when I was answering them, I realized this was a realllly long post, so I've got this divided up into three days.



FUN QUESTIONS AND STUFF ABOUT ME



Jordyn asked: I want to know what you think of Star Trek. And Star Wars. THAT IS TOTALLY RELEVANT, RIGHT?



I have a longer history with Star Wars--Princess Leia is the reason why I grew my hair long originally, and my brother's name was Luke, and one of the first memories I have growing up is playing with plastic light sabers. So yeah: hardcore Star Wars fan. That said: I'm not as much of a fan of the new ones. 
As for Star Trek--I watched New Generation rather a lot as a kid, and I liked it, but I never liked it so much until I saw the new Star Trek movie, which totally kicked. 
So: short answer--old school Star Wars, new school Star Trek.










GreenBeanTeenQueen asked: Who do you love more Kirk or Picard?



Ack! I would have SO said Picard before...but I DO love the new Kirk in the new movie...






GreenBeanTeen Queen also asked: Also, what movie is the must see movie of 2010-I'm way behind on my movies and need to catch up!



I thought EASY A was amazingly clever and funny. And the Disney RAPUNZEL was awesome. But my husband will disown me if I don't say that SCOTT PILGRIM was the TOP movie of the year!






And GreenBeanTeenQueen asked: And-what can do I do to convince my husband to watch Doctor Who? He complains that he doesn't like SF!



If he was a girl, I would totally tell him to watch based on the episodes of Doctor Who alone. But since I have a feeling he won't think David Tennant is hot, tell him this: Doctor Who is about history, clever plots, witty characters, and it is AWESOME. Also, I won't think he's cool until he watches.






salarsenッasked: What music do you listen to while writing?? Or do you?



I do listen to music--but I listen to it for the sound, not the song, if that makes sense. Basically, I listen until I don't really hear it anymore. I tune it out.










Kayla Olson asked: If you could be any character in a book/movie/TV show, who would you choose (and why)?



Luna Lovegood--she's minor enough that she gets to do what she wants, but major enough to get to be a part of the cool action. And she goes to Hogwarts, and she gets to do magic, and she doesn't care one whit what other people think.






Kayla also asked: Where, specifically, is your favorite place in the world? Why? (This could be a city, a cupboard under the stairs, a cafe, a park…anything.)



I don't care where I am--I care who I'm with. But I think it might be neat to have all the people I care about in London... :D










Abby Minard asked: What were some of your favorite Sci Fi or Fantasy books/authors as a child?



The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis 
THE HERO AND THE CROWN by Robin McKinley 
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede










Cold As Heaven asked: Do you like heavy metal?



Not really. I often like to tune my music out, and it's hard to ignore heavy metal. About as hardcore as I can get is Hawthorne Heights.










Heather Zundel asked: What drives you? (to write, especially).



I like telling stories. It's as simple as that.






Heather also asked: What single novel shaped you the most? Why?



Probably THE HERO AND THE CROWN. There's a scene in there--when Tor and Arlbeth see Aerin for the first time after she fights Maur--that I think is possible the most beautifully written prose in the world. 






And she asked: What are three things you find very beautiful?



Sleeping puppies. Trees in the snow. The smell of new books.






Annnnd she asked: When/how did you decide you wanted to become a writer? How did you stay at it when it became hard?



I've wanted to be a writer for a long time--since elementary school. But I knew, even then, that it is very very difficult to make a living off of writing. So, for me, the idea was that you could be a writer, but your profession would have to be something else. When I was teaching, I thought of myself as a teacher who also wrote. So the transition to thinking of myself as a writer was actually very difficult. 
On the other hand, it was very easy to stay with writing even when it became hard. Because, even when it is hard, I like writing.






And finally she asked: And the most important question of all: Pirate or Ninja? Why? ;)



Ninja. They're both romanticized, but I think ninjas, at least had a more complex motivation than greed.


17 comments:

Tez Miller said...

So awesome to have you on Team Ninja :-)

Phoebe North said...

My sure-fire trick to getting people to watch Who is the No Handlebars vid. It perfectly captures why/how the Doctor is such a bad ass.

(It's not a bad example of how yummy DT is, either!)

Oh, and congrats on the big news, Beth!!

Anonymous said...

I adore Luna Lovegood! She is one of my absolute favourite characters!

Jessica E. Subject said...

I totally agree with you on Star Trek and Star Wars. And yes, I prefer Ninjas over Pirates. :)

Bish Denham said...

Love Dr. Who. And Star Trek (the original show) does that date me or what!?

Ann Finkelstein said...

So cool to see you and Across the Universe on Shelf Awareness.

Liza said...

Yea for Luna Lovegood! I flicked throw channels last night and HP was on with a scene including Luna, and as always, I said: I just lover her.""

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Especially enjoyed your answers on Star Trek. I'm a big fan. :)

Tracey Neithercott said...

I'd like all my people to move to London, too. And then I'd like us all to speak in British accents.

I just read Across the Universe yesterday. LOVED it! Loved everything about it. I'm just kinda, you know, sad it's over. I should have read slower.

Emy Shin said...

:D Love the responses. I am all for Kirk in the new Star Trek movie as well.

Jeigh said...

I love the Enchanted Forest Chronicles! Cimorene was such an awesome girl's role model. To this day, if I start to cry about something I can't control, I think how she would not be impressed. And sometimes I stop.

Also, read AtU and loved it! Your writing flows so well and is just so pretty to look at!

Beth S. said...

Good call on choosing Luna Lovegood.

Jessica said...

Total Luna Lovegood fan, too! We should start a "Team Luna!"

Eric said...

Very cool answers. Especially since you are an old school Star Wars fan. The new ones just didn't do it for me.

As for Heavy Metal, I disagree slightly with you. Sometimes when I'm trying to write an action scene, a little Heavy Metal can get me in just the right mood.

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I do love Picard too, but new Kirk is AWESOME! New Star Trek totally kicked!!

And I have Easy A in my Netflix and I agree that Scott Pilgrim was the top movie of 2010 (my husband would agree with your husband!)

And thanks for the advice-I will get hubby watching Doctor Who!:)

Rachel said...

The Hero and the Crown!!!! YES!!! It's hard to find people who appreciate that book. :) You have made my day.

Kristan said...

Beth, I've been looking forward to ATU for a while (not gonna lie, mainly b/c of the gorgeous cover, and then I read what it was about and was hooked). I've finally got a copy in my hands and have just started reading. So far so good!

In the meantime, I am a fellow writer (aspiring and unagented, at this point) and I just wanted to check out your blog. Again, so far so good! :) Love the design, and am particularly glad to see Robin McKinley's HERO getting props. My friend (and fellow writer) Erin Danehy introduced me to McKinley, and she's incredible. If you haven't yet read PEGASUS, do it now!!! And then you will be very sad because you will have to wait for part 2. (But the sadness will be tempered by your love for the awesomeness of part 1.)