Monday, January 24, 2011

Short Story Up!

High all!

Just a quick note to say that my short story, "The Most Precious Memory" is up at Merry Sisters of Fate. This story isn't in the Across the Universe world--instead, it's a short speculative fiction piece in an alternate world where memories can be eaten like drugs.

The first lines:
There are two types of people in the world—those who make memories and those who devour them.
Devon was one of the latter. He sat in the shadows of the alley, a dark man with dark thoughts who watched and waited. A girl with hair the color of sunset walked by, her red high heels tapping out a steady rhythm on the sidewalk that matched the swing of her hips and the swish of her hair. Devon barely noticed her; his eyes skimmed across the street and into the eyes of another man.

Eagle-eyed readers will notice that I used the same description of the girl's hair here as I did with Amy's hair--that it's the color of sunset. I did it first here--I needed a distinctive but short description for the girl--but I liked the phrase so much that I used in it Across the Universe, too.

Go read it! Hope you like it!

12 comments:

Weronika Janczuk said...

That's a beautiful beginning, Beth. Off to read!

Katie said...

That's so haunting and sad...I'm not sure what to think.

Theresa Milstein said...

Interesting premise. I'm off to read the rest.

Heather Hellmann said...

Such a wonderful beginning!

Cherie Reich said...

Absolutely awesome story! Loved it!

Zac said...

Incredible story and very haunting! I absolutely love it and can't wait to read more (hopefully).

Unknown said...

I definitely want to read more!

And big congrats on your recent successes ... so proud of you : )

Jeigh said...

Amazing. Brilly. Love it. I like your brain.

Eric said...

Beth, that was absolutely amazing. Lovely writing, drew me in instantly. Very nice job!

Anonymous said...

I loved it. So sad.

Susan S. said...

The beginning sounds very interesting! :)
Would love to read this book & story!!

Veronika Washington said...

I loved this short story. I do not appreciate you teasing me with this! lol. After reading this it most definitely makes me want to read Across The Universe that much more.
Are you planning on publishing this or continuing with the story? You definitely should. I can see a ya novel based on this!!! I think that Devon/James should spend the story trying to find a way to get his memories permanently returned and/or trying to get Thomas' memories of him returned as well.

........PLEASE CONTINUE IT!!!!!