Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Creative Marketing: Andrea Cremer's NIGHTSHADE

I know you've heard of this book, right? It was part of the Penguin Five, and all my favorite writers have been raving about it.

Here's the GoodReads description:
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything--including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

But I admit being a bit reluctant to read it. I mean...another werewolf book?

Then Kiersten White tweeted this:
And I sat right up.

So I did a bit of poking around. And I saw how Penguin's got some really cool marketing going on for Andrea Cremer's NIGHTSHADE. First, some bloggers have been getting this:


This is the box that was sent to Alea at Pop Culture Junkie. That's a calla lily, wrapped in purple paper, to match the cover. Pages from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT surround the flower, and do you see that tiny key tied to the ribbon? It's actually a flash drive with some videos!

And that's cool--but the videos (also on YouTube) are *way* cooler:



This is, essentially, a video prequel to the book. And even though I haven't read NIGHTSHADE (yet) I'm *so* going to now, and I *so* see what Kiersten means. This video is told from the POV of Shay, the male MC of the book, and there's actually a series of them (four so far) as Shay explores his new home in Vale, CO. And...I so want to know what happens. It almost looks like ghosts are involved, but I don't think it's as simple as that.

This is an entirely interactive experience--Shay not only has his own YouTube channel (although I suggest that you start there), he's also got a Facebook Page. And, after video four...I'm wondering if some of his friends commenting on his wall are really his friends....

But he's also got a blog page, and it's filled with creepy pictures, sketches by Shay, and more.

Look, I know it's all marketing--but it's pretty darn creative marketing, and it's a lot of fun! This is all supposed to be a sort of "prequel" to the book, and the idea of making the background an interactive discovery is just brilliant.

As for me? I so pre-ordered the hardcover. And now I just have to wait until October 19! And if you're still on the fence about it, here's the teaser trailer for the novel:

16 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

As impressed as you are, does it make you intimidated about how to promote your book? It feels like there's a lot of pressure to come up with clever way to market your book.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a good book. Thanks.

Market reseach said...

Ya..this is really a very interesting book.Me and my friends have read this, and videos make this post alive.

MeganRebekah said...

I have an ARC of Nightshade that I keep meaning to read, but have been so busy that I just haven't made the time.
Now I need to get on it and get reading.

And you're right -- the marketing is amazing and creative and will undoubtedly make this an instant NYT Bestseller!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

wow! the package that is sent is like the good old days marketing stories I read in SAVE THE CAT. Very clever and original.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

It is SUPER creative and fun--although honestly, Nightshade is SO good--she barely needs it. I LOVE this book!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Wow, that flower is just awesome. Love that marketing idea.

Gaby G said...

I love the flower, is amazing. I still have to read this one but first I'm going to watch those videos!

Shallee said...

Interesting. I didn't have much desire to read it either, but you've made me very curious! Thanks for sharing.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

okay, girl - you convinced me! I was on the fence about it, leaning toward "whatever". Now, I'll HAVE to read it. :-)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Unbelievable awesome marketing for a remarkable book! How cool!! Oh my word, how awesome would it be to have that kind of marketing behind you? Sweet!

Kristie Cook said...

Wow! Impressive marketing campaign. Has my gears spinning. I've always loved the cover, now I'm really interested in actually reading Nightshade. :) Thanks for sharing! And, btw, hope to see you at SIBA this weekend!

Carolyn V. said...

Wow, marketing has taken a step up. The flower idea...awesome.

Alix said...

Oh that is SO fun. I do love a good bit of marketing.I actually have an ARC of Nightshade and have't read it because I too was all another werewolf book?

But I'm bumping it up my TBR list now.

Anonymous said...

Very creative marketing. And sending me a lily just pretty much solidifies my love for you. ;) =]

Elana Johnson said...

Awesome promotion! I so need to read this book. Hold it. Stroke it. And once again, Penguin astounds me with their marketing.