Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bookanista Feature: Elana Johnson's POSSESSION

The Bookanistas are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers.  No negative reviews here! We post every Thursday and cover various topics– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even cover reviews.




POSSESSION by Elana Johnson

You guys.

I'm in love with this cover.

First, there's the white space, drawing the total attention to the image and the sparse words. The boxy font of the title paired with the script of Elana's name is beautiful in contrast.

And that image? Genius. You have a butterfly* trapped in ice--something beautiful and free contained, controlled--possessed. And can I just say that I love the crack in the ice! It makes it seem almost painful...or almost as if the butterfly can escape...

And last but not least, take a look at that tagline. "Control or be controlled." Guys, this is the epitome of a tagline--short, simple, but perfectly succinct. And what's even cooler? Elana came up with that herself.


*Have I mentioned that I freaking love butterflies? They have such symbolic meaning for me--I did my master's thesis on the myth of Cupid and Psyche, which, of course, reflects back into how butterflies are symbolic for the soul. Blue butterflies (the blue morpho, specifically) were my wedding theme. I love me some butterflies.


*~*~*~*



Other Bookanista Features Today:

13 comments:

Sandy said...

I love POSSESSION's cover -- so crisp and pretty. I can't wait until it comes out!

Krispy said...

I also love this cover. It's simple and elegant. I mentioned it at Elana's, but it also reminds me of the cover for The Adoration of Jenna Fox, which I also loved!

Misha Gerrick said...

I just love this cover. It's so clean and the image perfectly fits the title.

Just brilliant.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I love the cover too. Can't wait to read the book.

Susanne Winnacker said...

It is a beautiful cover. Can't wait to hold the book in my hands! :)

Christine Fonseca said...

Yea, probably my FAV cover!!!

Elana Johnson said...

*weeping* Thank you Beth! And everyone! I can only hope the words inside hold up to the gorgeousness of the cover.

lotusgirl said...

It is such a lovely cover. I can't wait to read the book. That tagline is perfection.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Wicked! Love this cover. I have no doubt Elana's words will be just as gorgeous. (Hugs)Indigo

Tere Kirkland said...

It is beautiful in its simplicity, and very evocative of the title. Lucky! ;)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

love love love....

Veronica Roth said...

Re: the tagline-- yes! Love!

Alix said...

That is a gorgeous cover. i'd pick it up straight away in a bookstore!

I love butterflies too, but only images the real ones creep me out, don't know why!