Sunday, April 26, 2009

Quite Possibly the Best Advice on Querying

I know of one writer who worked on his book for eleven years before querying--tweaking, rewriting, and generally being afraid of rejection. I know of another writer who started querying the instant she typed "the end" at the end of the manuscript--before revising at all, without even looking over the manuscript.

We both know that both of those people were foolish in their approach.

But how long should we query? I queried my first manuscript for over a year--I queried my last one for a month before pulling it out of submissions for rewrites.

BookEnds, LLC has what I think is the best advice--and what I have fallen into as practice just by chance.

In short: write a novel, revise the novel, being querying, begin writing new novel. By the time you finish the new novel, pull out the original. Repeat until success.

10 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I saw that post a few days ago, I think. That is very good advice. Thank you for sharing!

PJ Hoover said...

It's great advice. There's nothing like time away to see things with fresh eyes. And so much can be learned from querying.

PurpleClover said...

Yes, I agreed with that advice. I plan on following it!

Danyelle L. said...

Excellent advice!

Kelly H-Y said...

Great advice!

Elana Johnson said...

It was totally awesome advice.

Bowman said...

Never leave a novel behind. Isn't that what the marines say? Ha ha. Sure, I'm starting a second novel soon, but that just pushes my original failure to the fourth spot in the series. So the plan goes.

lotusgirl said...

Now there's some good advice.

Robyn Campbell said...

UH, yeah, great advice. And i would add, smile all the while! :)

Unknown said...

I knew y'all would like it! This one is like preaching to the choir, huh?

I just still remember my first novel, thinking that I'd hold on to it and fix it until it was published...and I still have friends who do the same. I wish I'd seen this about five years ago!