Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Have More Books than Bookshelves

I do. Seriously, I do. I know this because today was Clean Office day. Because, if I am to be perfectly truthful, I've not cleaned my office...in nearly two years. First my office was Wedding Headquarters--and then after that, I had to start school up again--and then the summer following that was The Summer of Many Trips (yearbook camp with kids, Euro Trip with kids, vacay with husband to celebrate first anniversary). And then school started again. See? It's a vicious cycle of uncleanliness.

But no longer. I decided that today must be Clean Office day. (And I refuse to admit that when I get stuck on writing, I clean things. I won't admit it. But I will say that it is perhaps a good thing that I get stuck when writing, or I'd never clean anything.)

Be that as it may, as I was picking piles of books up from the office floor, reorganizing shelves, etc., I ran out of book shelf space. Literally. Tomorrow I'll post pics, if possible, but for now, trust me: I have filled two floor-to-ceiling bookshelves and two more smaller bookshelves up to their maximum capacity. More than once I tried to cram one more book onto the shelf...and the entire row of books burst from the end.

So, I packed up a bag full of books to take to the library donation box, and I still had twelve YA and MG books left over. Some where newer titles, some were hardbacks and some (I am ashamed to admit) I had not even read yet.

But my lack of bookshelves = your opportunity for free books. This month and next month I'll be doing a big give-away of books: 6 YA books and 6 MG books!

Which leaves me with just one question: which should I start with, YA or MG?

12 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Hmmm...I'm working on a YA right now, so how about YA?
I love stacking my books in shelves and arranging them. But yes, I need more shelves to stack!

Unknown said...

HAHA! I have not only stacked them, but I've crammed little paperbacks in between the spaces made from books of different sizes!

Kelly H-Y said...

Too funny. The old bookshelf in my office looks as if it could topple over at any point if we add one little paperback to it!
Hmmm ... start with the YA!

Robyn Campbell said...

MG, MG ,MG,. Hey and don't forget I have one too. *hangs head* I'll bring it to our next meeting, I promise!!

Hey, I cleaned my office and you know what? It's messy again. So what's the point?

I vow to not clean it until I get my book sold. :) Hopefully that'll come soon, because it's getting really messy.

Bowman said...

Hmm...I know what you're saying, but I hope everyone has more books than bookshelves. "Everyone" excludes people who use e-book readers.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I know Lois has been on a CLEAN kick lately, too. Good luck! And I look forward to seeing what books you're giving away. :D

Traci said...

Funny you said that because my apartment is spotless from the weekend. I was supposed to be writing. Hmmm...

lotusgirl said...

We're in the same boat. I'm purging the world. I hadn't even thought of purging the book binge, but I need to. I have a lot of shelves with doors and most of those are two deep with books and some even have books stacked in the space above the books. Packed in. And hidden behind the doors. I have such a hard time getting rid of books. I should probably just get myself a kindle, but then I'd miss all those wonderful books.

Davin Malasarn said...

Beth, you should also consider spreading them around to your reader and non-reader friends if you can think of good fits. Whenever I stumble upon a book that I think a non-reader friend my actually enjoy, I try to encourage them to give it a shot. It spreads the art around. :)

Angela said...

We moved over the summer and I tried to get all the books from all over the house into one area in the new place.

I found a bunch of medical textbooks that I know weren't from my graduate school. I don't know where they came from!

Unknown said...

Hey everyone--the husband and I went shopping today...I begged for a new bookcase (which could then hold all my numerous books) but he wouldn't let me...I thought he was being mean, but then he pointed out that we don't have the floor space!

Jennifer Taylor said...

Do you have a fireplace mantel? I'd be putting them on top of the kitchen cabinets, cleaning out closet shelves. Other stuff would have to go before my books.