Friday, January 2, 2009

A Year In Review

Got this meme from Kristin Cashore, author of Graceling, which I'm in the process of reading. I took some of the questions off just because they didn't apply. I tag anyone who wants to do it!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?

Start a blog! I can't believe it's less than a year old...and it's been much more fun (and rewarding) than I ever expected.

2. What are your New Year's resolutions for 2009?
See previous post :)

3. What countries did you visit?
England and France

4. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A white Christmas! And a published book with my name on it.

5. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm terrible with numbers, so I don't remember the date. But the day I found out I got National Boards (in teaching) was pretty sweet.

6. What was your biggest success?
National Boards in my teaching world, finishing The Amnesia Door in my writing world. Actually, not just finishing it, but also growing up enough as a writer to realize it needs change, seek out feedback, and apply criticism to revisions. Previously, I have been too quick to think I was done after typing The End, too willing to forgo serious revisions.

7. What was your biggest failure?
I wasted time with too much nothing.

8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no.

9. What was the best thing you bought?
The husband's Christmas present--he really liked it! Also, I recently got this at an after Christmas sale, it is freaking awesome. Hmmm...I also like the books I bought this year...

10. Where did most of your money go?
Travel and writing (which includes books in my genre/age range for "research")

11. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The election! Traveling to Europe with a gaggle of teenagers under my supervision! My own book! Reading and discovering new authors!

12. Compared to this time last year, are you a. happier or sadder? b. thinner or fatter? c. richer or poorer?
a. happier, b. no difference, c. richer--at least in security, happiness, peace, etc.

13. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Write.

14. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinate.

15. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fell more in love with the husband as we crossed our one year anniversary, more in love with my parents as I grow up and appreciate them more, more in love with my friends who stand beside me even when I become self absorbed, more in love with my dog who loves me more than anything, more in love with my life as I achieve my dreams, more in love with my God who gave it all to me.

16. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No, although I do have a friend who's really let me down, and I'm afraid our long friendship dissolve.

17. What was your favorite TV program?
Doctor Who! The perfect Doctor (David Tennant) and the perfect companion (Catherine Tate). And a brilliant plot line!

18. What was the best book you read?
My eyes have grown wide. How can I pick one? Let's see...I loved The Emerald Tablet because I loved knowing the author and feeling that connection between the writing world and the reading world. The Harry Potter books--that I read and re-read--are brilliant and something for me to aspire to.

19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nickel Creek, and the song "The Lighthouse". Very cool sounds.

20. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hancock was great. Did I am Legend come out this year? Apparently I love Will Smith.

21. What did you want and get?
A deeper sense of belonging in the writing world. I wanted to feel more like a writer, not a hack.

22. What did you want and not get?
A published book with my name on it.

23. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A published book with my name on it. (I see a theme here.)

24. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
*snort*

25. What kept you sane?
The husband.

26. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Let it be.

3 comments:

Christina Farley said...

I learned alot about you with this. Very interesting.

PJ Hoover said...

OK, you've officially made my day!
Thanks, Beth, and you will get a published book with your name on it!

Unknown said...

Glad you both liked! I learned the value of reflection when teaching through lesson plans, but I think it's cool to reflect periodically on the other thins in or life, too :)