Friday, January 9, 2009

And I was so worried...


I have been afraid that my MG fantasy ms. was too dark. The ending's not entirely happy, and, well, let's just say there's a bit of blood at the end.

I am, apparently, not as hardcore as I thought I was.

First there was my mother, who read the completed ms. over break (she'd only read the first few early draft chapters). My mother reads super-sweet romance novels for fun and teaches fifth graders. She is not hardcore. She is something of a pansy.

"Did you like it?" I asked anxiously.

"Yeah, it was good." She's all casual.

"Not too dark?" My butt is on the edge of the seat.

"What was dark about it?"

"Mom! People get their hearts ripped out!"

"Yeah, but just a little."

Mom also assures me that her fifth graders would not mind the dark ending in the least. But still, I worried.

Then I started The Hunger Games.

I'm only about 30 pages in.

But I am not at all worried any more about my book being too dark any more!
Post a Comment