Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Secret Agent

As you know, Miss Snark's First Victim is holding a Secret Agent contest where MG/YA authors can post the first 250 words of the story and see which one hooks a real live agent. Although I tried to email mine with a harpoon (with which to hook the agent, obvs) the harpoon didn't make it through the spam filter.

But my entry did! Please go check mine (and all the others) out--reading piles of first pages will give you a feeling of a day in the life of an agent--and will, hopefully, help us get a better understand of what really hooks a person into a book.

8 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Congrats! I hope you get great feedback!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I will look yours up! Congrats on making it in in time. :)

lotusgirl said...

best of luck to you in the contest. I wish I had time to read through those, but oh well. I read through a lot of those first paragraphs in NB's contest and realized that being an agent is not for me. I can see why some of them stop after one sentence. It's overwhelming.

christine M said...

Congrats on making it through! I'm sure you'll hook that agent - even without the harpoon.

Angela Ackerman said...

I saw yours--it was nice to see a friendly face. I managed to comment on all 50 entries. I totally have earned a diet coke...

Keri Mikulski said...

Great stuff! Hope you hook!

Unknown said...

Everyone: So far, the feedback has been great--very encouraging, and the biggest comment has been about the overuse of the word change--an issue you all brought up earlier, and one I will definitely change before I send this out :)

Angela--I am making my way (slowly) through all 50...can't wait to find yours!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Here's to getting an agent!