Friday, January 9, 2009

Poetry Friday

The Veteran
by Dorothy Parker

When I was young and bold and strong,
Oh, right was right, and wrong was wrong!
My plume on high, my flag unfurled,
I rode away to right the world.
"Come out, you dogs, and fight!" said I,
And wept there was but once to die.

But I am old; and good and bad
Are woven in a crazy plaid.
I sit and say, "The world is so;
And he is wise who lets it go.
A battle lost, a battle won --
The difference is small, my son."

Inertia rides and riddles me;
The which is called Philosophy.



If When my book gets published, I think I'd like this poem at the beginning.

9 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I LOVE Dorothy Parker. Great poem to choose. This makes me want to read your book even more! I love poetry. It's how I first learned to write.

Anonymous said...

Would that I had Parker's wit,
Snarkiness that just won't quit.
Comebacks that would make you burn,
Mistress of the swift return.

The Vicious Circle’s caustic ruler,
Cynicism was never cooler,
Words were weapons, words were clay,
Her memory lives to this day.

:)

Unknown said...

Glam: I'm just discovering this poet, but after seeing this one, I rushed out to read others by her--they are all as equally good, and all brilliant examples of poetry. I have thoroughly impressed by this poet!

Marian: HA! That is brilliant!!

lotusgirl said...

Great poem! I love the line: "good and bad are woven in a crazy plaid." That would be an amazing way to start your book.

Unknown said...

Lois--That's my fav line, too! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Beth!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

I really like this poem. I especially like the second stanza because I am old (not really) but can really relate to the wisdom in the poem. I especially liked woven in plaid. Loved that!

Adrienne said...

Great choice for your book!

Keri Mikulski said...

Nice poem and connection. :)