Friday, October 21, 2011

Daily Percentages: Friday

Live-blogging really helps me stay focused. Mainly because when I record my times, I feel guilty when I look at how much time I just WASTE.

This won't strictly be a live-blog, because I'm not going to post at each stop...I'm just going to work all day and record my times.

So, right now:



1% done!

12:53pm: I've updated the blog, updated Twitter, updated Facebook, turned away from my overloaded email in shame, etc., etc....there is no reasonable excuse for me not to get to work.

12:54: OH LOOK OVER THERE SOMETHING SHINY ON THE INTERNET

12:55: I know. I know.   *sigh*   *opens up Scrivener*

1:03: Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut! *whining*

1:11: Maybe I should set a timer. Steph updated her liveblog hourly...perhaps I should shoot for that? I'll finish this chapter (and lunch) first.

1:29: Finished the chapter, but had to go into the next one to finish the scene.



11% done!

1:43: I think I earned lunch! 

2:30: I specifically ate at my computer rather than in front of the TV. But instead of feeling energized and ready to dive straight back into work...I kind of want a nap.

I ended at a natural end--the final bit of a scene. I know the next scene I want to write, but I'd have to start it. It feels a little...daunting. I've heard it's often easier to get back in the swing of things if you stop mid-scene...maybe that's what I should have done...

2:39: Dilemma. It's so cold, all I want to do is snuggle into something warm. If I snuggle into something warm (my bed) I will take a nap. If I turn the heat up....I will take a nap. I think nap = inevitable.

2:56: After staring at Tumblr the computer screen for much too long, the idea of a nap has triumphed. 

Words? What words? *stricks fingers in my ears* Tralalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you!

5:06: Unholy bleep! Look at the time!!! *mad scurrying around the house to try to make it at least some semblance of clean so I can cook supper and then hope to write more after that....*  Eeep! No more naps for me!!

5:34: Opened dishwasher to find that the soap hadn't dissolved all the way. Lovely. Stack dirty dishes in sink and re-wash "clean" ones. 

5:36: Stare at still-messy kitchen. Wonders if it's too late to order the hubs to pick up take-out on the way home from work.

5:37: It is.

5:38: Retreat. For now.

5:41: Realize entire house is just as messy (or moreso) than kitchen. Contemplate a "fall cleaning" on top of crazy word deadline thingy for the weekend...

6:20: I am so braindead. I am officially calling it a day today, and telling myself NOT to open Scrivener again. I need a break. 

Today's Final Goal Meter:


11% done!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

go Beth! :)

Katia Raina said...

Wow, I can't believe how HUMAN you are. I thought you were the Goddess of Writing, or something. But it's so encouraging to see that you're really one of us :) You can do it, Beth! You've done it before, you're doing it now, you'll do it again!

Emilia said...

10% today!! You rock! Keep up that great work! :) And the house should know you are busy and start keeping it self in order!

michaela said...

Go Beth go!!!
pst. . . I have fishy stickers on my laptop for you. :)

Creative A said...

Way to go! I love how you were just as excited about the 11% at the end of the day as at the beginning. Reminds me of another blogger, Chandler Craig (Fumbling With Fiction) and something she said--"Every word I write today is one I don't have to write tomorrow.) Sort of had me thinking, that's 11% you don't have to write tomorrow!

Anyway. Yes. Thanks for your honesty :)

-Mandy

Prangon said...

WOOT for 11% :D

Jenny said...

You can do it Beth! I actually find it easier to stop my writing at a scene I'm really excited for, so that the next time I sit down to write, I'll be too excited about writing the scene to procrastinate (I also forbid myself from getting distracted from the internet until I have reached another thousand word milestone). Thanks so much for telling us about your writing process, I thought I was the only one with an abnormal one! Good luck and congratulations with your finished 11%!

Angela Brown said...

This is really cool. Gives us a chance to see just how, I don't know, NORMAL, you are. Also how awesome you are since you've made a lot of progress.

Emma Katherine said...

I love the new live-blog! It's an awesome thing to see what your process is while writing! And it's very reassuring to know that I'm not the only person in the world who needs to get others involved to meet goals! Hope you make your goal! - sort of...I really want that book... jk! :) Go Beth! You can do it!!!

Anonymous said...

*cheerleader dance* GO Beth! Go beth! If you make your deadline, you won't have to send (me) the book!
Took me FOR-EVAH but I finally found the password to to password protected page a few days ago. This makes me happy :))

Sherrie Petersen said...

I'm glad you're working hard on book 3 because omigosh, I just finished reading my ARC of A MILLION SUNS after re-reading ACROSS THE UNIVERSE. And I feel like I ought to bow in your presence because both of them are frexing brilly!! Dude! I can't wait to read the final installment. So yay that you're 11 percent done. Yay that you set a crazy deadline. Yay that we get to read more soon. Write, write, write, write :D

amber orr :) said...

Keep rockin' it out Beth, you created monsters in us book addicts and we are hungry for more! Good luck and use cookies for energy or for a reward:)

Dana said...

You can do it, Beth! :D

ansindt said...

I love the idea of a nap....who knows, maybe you will have an awesome dream that will give you that "AH HA!" moment=)