Friday, October 21, 2011

Challenges & a Winner

So, this week was the week of Crazy Challenges. And while my challenge to myself WAS crazy (15k in a week!) I am so so so certain that I would never have written that many words if (a) Steph hadn't challenged me to it and (b) you guys hadn't cheered both of us on. After meeting with Steph yesterday, we decided to randomly select one person who had cheered us on--either in our blog comments, Twitter, or any other way--and send them a copy of both of our books. Sorry it took so long--there were a LOT of supporters out there!

And, for the record, I totally disqualified Kiersten White. She plays dirty.

(Please ignore the fact that I played dirty, too.)

(And that I started it.)

(And that she was playing dirty against us both, actually. An equal-opportunity-dirty-player.)

(Yeah. Ignore all that.)

So, without further ado...the winner of the random-selected cheerleader surprise contest is....

Charlee Vale 

*throws confetti* Congrats Charlee! Send me your address and we'll get the books out to you!

And now for the challenge...

See, I really want to finish Book 3 ASAP, in part because I have a shiny new idea I want to work on, in part because I want to finish it before it gets too close to the holidays, in part because I want to give my critique readers time to, you know, critique. And read. And in part because I really work well under deadlines and pressures. And because I'm insane.

ANYWAY.

I'd like to really push through with Book 3. I know pretty much how everything goes, and what's slowing me down isn't so much that I'm stuck, but that I'm being lazy.

So.

I am challenging myself to another crazy deadline. A lot of words. In one week. From Thursday to Thursday. I'm meeting Steph again, and she knows my crazy deadline, and if I fail it, then the result = I have to pay for all her coffee next week.

BUT THAT IS NOT MOTIVATION ENOUGH.

So...I am also making you guys a promise. If I do not make my crazy deadline (it's so crazy I'm not even going to tell you how many words--it's a lot)...anyway, if I don't make my crazy deadline, I am going to give away a signed copy of the ACROSS THE UNIVERSE paperback (plus all the swag that'll fit in the box) to one random person who comments on my blog at any point in time between last Thursday and next Thursday (deadline day). 

And everyday, I'm going to post a percentage meter of how much of the crazy deadline I've done for that day. 

I figure between buying coffee and sending out books, my pocketbook (and my husband) will MAKE me stick to this crazy deadline.

Also, the possibility of public humiliation when if  I have to admit that I failed to you guys.

SO! The CHALLENGE! It is afoot! 

And today's update so far....




1% done!


(PS: the winner of the October Password Contest will be revealed October 24th. If you're still struggled to figure out the password, you can get the answer on the Facebook Page, or, if you can't get there, you can consider this clue: What do you do with a leader?)

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it! I love that you are trying to finish quickly because it means there will be no delays on your part for us getting to read this awesome book!

Amanda Abougoush said...

How awesome! I'll be cheering you on! :)

Jessica said...

Good luck! These deadlines are really inspiring to other writers. I may even impose my own crazy deadline!

Bethany (youngbooklove) said...

Oh bummers! Congrats to Charlee though! :D I am just going to hunt you down Beth Revis, to get that autograph I am so crazy to possess!

ANOTHER word challenge - holy cow, you are amazing. I am really excited, the first one was SO much fun to follow! I will be with you, checking in to see how you're doing. :) GOOD LUCK! Except not really because I want your signed book. :P

Suz said...

I just pictured Kermit the Frog with his hands (front fins???) in the air doing a silly wave, cheering you on.
Yayyyyy, for Beth

Unknown said...

I edited 20k in one day earlier this week, so I can imagine how burned out you are after the first crazy challenge. But you might actually be insane for taking on an even bigger one so soon. :P

Good luck though!! (And I mean it, even though I really want that signed book and swag haha.)

Write on!

NeuroHormone said...

1% ! Hurrah!
Today I learned 1% of my Virology textbook! :D

jldy said...

I just wanted you to know how much you've inspired me and my little NaNo group.

http://plumfieldprojects.blogspot.com/

Go Beth, you can do it!!!

Marthapao said...

This challenge is very hard for those of us cheering you on because we want you to finish but if you don't we get something. But your books are awesome so keep writing!
You can do it!

Unknown said...

Go Beth, go! You can do it! <3

Yay for 1%!

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

*channels Dory from Finding Nemo* "Just keep writing, just keep writing, just keep writing, writing, writing!" LOL

Anonymous said...

This is such a great challenge. I'll be rooting for you. Huzzah, writing, huzzah!

Tristyn said...

Wahoo!!!! You can do this Beth, I know you can!! Come on magic fingers!! :)

Bwyatt said...

Good luck on the challenge! Hoard lots of chocolate while you write! :)

Emilia said...

So, apparently if you fail on your goal, we get the goods? *ponders this while twisting imaginary mustache* I really hope you make it! It's a better gift to read one of your books, at least everybody can enjoy it and not just one lucky winner, it's a win-win! So, go Beth, go Beth, go Beth *does a crazy dance while chanting* go Beth, go Beth!! You rock!!! :)

Riley said...

You can do it, Beth! 1% is one more percent in the right direction!

Charlee Hoffman said...

EEEE! Thank you Beth & Steph! You really did motivate me with your awesomeness!

CV

Alison said...

I'll still support you even if you only stay at 1%! Good luck and have some fun along the way. :)

Anonymous said...

Hum... I'm torn. I'm D-Y-I-N-G for the third book (considering I haven't even read the second one yet), so I hope you make your deadline! But at the same time, a copy of the book would also be headspinningly awesome.
And October 24!! The same day the new Coldplay album (the name of which defies pronunciation) comes out!! Awesome timing... :D

Megan said...

You can do it, Beth! (As much as I would love to win the contest) I hope you make it to your goal! (:

-Megan

barmybex said...

Awesome, I;m sure you can do it. I'll come back and cheer you on. :D

Jenny said...

Good luck Beth! Bring out your inner Amy and Eldest and you can do it! That fate of Godspeed is on your head...

Julia K said...

Go Beth! Go Beth! Go Beth! Besides, if you write faster, does this mean Book 3 comes out before 2013? Because, yannow, if the world blows up and I die without knowing what happens that would make me sad. :) *hands you coffee* Now, come on! You can do it! I belieeevee in youuuu!!!!!!! :D

Jen Burt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Burt said...

This is fabulous. I love self-challenges. I especially love self-challenges where the self might 'fail' and guilt themselves into free stuff for fans :) Because, hey... I'm a fan!!!! Seriously!

But either way... more words = quicker to the finish which might = an earlier publication date, right??? So... GO BETH!

Kristine Asselin said...

Self imposed deadlines and goals totally work--as long as you don't beat yourself up if you fall a little short. I wrote 20K over the summer, and would never have done that without a group of cheerleaders who consistently challenged each other to 1K writing races. It was great--of course I still need to finish, read, revise, and send it to the crit group. But still.

Good luck!

Lisa R :) said...

GO BETH!!! You can do iiiitttt!!! YAY!! \^_^/

Karen said...

WOW! I can tell you really want to finish up Book 3 :D I hope you achieve your goal!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! You can do it :)

Unknown said...

Good luck! As a long-time procrastinator, I know how difficult deadlines can be, but you can do it!!!

AmieSalmon said...

Keep going, you'll get there. If you can finish the first two, we have faith for the third! =]

Carina L. Tai said...

1% Is AWESOME! Those are the 3 pages that will draw all your readers in again :)

I can't wait for the 3rd book! Keep fighting!

-Carina
alicia.aatran@yahoo.com

ansindt said...

Good luck with your deadline=)

Jenny Lynn said...

Good luck with your deadline! I can't wait till NaNoWriMo starts so I can actually force myself to be productive (apparently I need to get a friend to push me with deadlines, too, so that it's not only once or twice a year that I avidly write).

Krystalyn Drown said...

Go! Go! Go! Revis you know what they say.
Hang on now, Revis. You'll make it Thursday.
Don't give up, Revis. You're doing fine.
You get your words, you'll make the deadline.

(sung to that jaunty tune from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.)