Friday, September 4, 2009

Today in Class: The Final Frontier

Hi! I plan to be back on regular scheduled posts next week--taking this week off has been a real relief both in getting my class schedule back on track and with getting back to my writing life, which I'd put on hold as well. As a reward for your patience: a TiC!

We're studying the role of religion in society (in terms of how it applies to literature) in my class today.

Me: [Reading an excerpt from Joseph Campbell.]

Kid 1: Yeah, but he's just some guy. It's not like this effects us today.

Me: Well, George Lucas sure liked some of Campbell's theories. Campbell's not some random dead old guy--a lot of people like George Lucas are influenced by his writings.

Kid 2: Who is George Lucas? Is he that guy who does commercials? For like insurance or something.

Me: What?!

Kid 2: Yeah, you know. Those commercials. And he talks funny.

Me: What?! No!

The entire class:
*strange looks as we try to figure out what she means*

Kid 1:
Wait, are you talking about Captain Kirk?

Kid 2: I dunno! Some space guy!

Me:
*facepalm*


Sorry, PJ!

15 comments:

Robyn Campbell said...

ARGH! They didn't know George Lucas?? All I can say to you for this year is GOOD LUCK! :) You'll give 'em all the literary they can soak in. You go girl!

Oh and Corwin for prez. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

My 15 year old niece asked me recently who Brooke Shields was. Ugh. Talk about feeling old. LOL

MeganRebekah said...

I always used to wonder if my students were truly that clueless, or if that was a role they had chosen to play at school.

I see it happen with my 16year old sister when she's around her friends and acts so different.

So hopefully your students are really smart and knowledgable down deep. Probably way down deep!

Tana said...

LOL *some space guy*

Miriam Forster said...

Bwahahahaha!!! *falls off chair laughing*

He does kind of talk funny, doesn't he?

Elana Johnson said...

The fall of the rising generation. And so it starts... :)

Unknown said...

Wow. That makes me feel old. I think that one would have gotten a *headdesk* from me.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Ditto on the facepalm. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
I've given thought to this before, trying to make myself pretend I'm six or nine and what has happened before those years, what I have no history of or reason to care about (sorry for those dangling preps). It really is startling to realize our cultural references are ancient history.

PJ Hoover said...

Some Space Guy. How priceless is that?
And they know about Captain Kirk which is a good thing :)

christine M said...

But haven't there been new Star Wars movies recently? It hasn't been that long, surely. I do know when talking about the Star Wars movies with my kids I never know what to call the one that came out first. If you call it the first one - they think it's the fourth one. Very confusing. We just call it the original. And, come to think of it, my kids know Star Wars - but they might not know the name George Lucas.

Unknown said...

And, Chris, remember that the new ones aren't as popular as the old ones once were--my high school kids tend to think of the new ones as "childish" (especially with Jar-Jar) or nerdy rather than the cult classics of the originals even in my generation!

Clementine said...

Oh my. They live in another world don't they? Good thing you're a teacher and can mediate for us! lol!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Oh, this is great! Enjoy your weekend!

lotusgirl said...

*shakes head*

At least you can teach them. Hopefully some of it will soak in.

Tabitha said...

LOL!! Too funny!