I am, perhaps the last person on Earth to read MAGIC UNDER GLASS by Jackie Dolamore. But for today's Bookanista post, I wanted to feature this title, even if I am the last person on Earth to read it.
First: good news! The sequel to MAGIC UNDER GLASS will be out next year, titled MAGIC UNDER STONE. So, if you, like me, are late in reading this book, you also have a shorter time to wait for the sequel. And you're gonna want the sequel.
A little about the plot of this book: Nimira is a music-hall girl from a foreign country, hoping to make a living as a dancer and singer. When a local sorcerer picks her out of the dance hall to work as a singer with his piano-playing automaton, Nim jumps at the chance to raise her status (and income). But the automaton isn't what he seems to be, and soon Nim finds herself trying to discover just what--or who--he is.
Thoughts on MAGIC UNDER GLASS:
- Lyrical writing: Nim's voice is careful and evenly paced in a style that reminds me of Laini Taylor's writing.
- Hard choices: Nim is in a truly hard position in society and in choosing which path she'll take, with more than one perfectly reasonable and viable option for her.
- Detailed consequences: I don't want to give anything away, but that THING that happens to the automaton that involves SKIN was...ew. EW. And also: sad. So sad.
- Hopeful end: This book doesn't end with a bow on top--but it does end with hope. I'm satisfied as a reader, but still very eager for the sequel.
- Strong protagonist: I liked Nim. I mean, I really liked her. I wanted to sit her down and talk to her. I wanted to help her decide what to do. I cheered and cried for her. She's definitely the kind of character I could get behind.
Want to find out what the other Bookanistas are raving about today?
- LiLa Roecker hosts a sunny tour stop for POSSUM SUMMER
- Christine Fonseca shares her Guestanista Post: The Lost Hero
- Shannon Messenger spotlights the cover of SO SILVER BRIGHT
- Scott Tracey is inspired by ANGELFIRE
- Michelle Hodkin toasts DEMONGLASS
- Beth Revis finds amazing MAGIC UNDER GLASS
- Carolina Valdez Miller uncovers WORDS IN THE DUST
- Megan Miranda leaps and shouts for THE LIAR SOCIETY
- Bethany Wiggins glows for RUBY RED
- Shana Silver gets psyched about WITHER
- Jen Hayley raves about RAISED BY WOLVES
- Gretchen McNeil gushes over BLOOD AND FLOWERS
- Rosemary Clement-Moore revisits HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE
- Sarah Frances Hardy is nuts for THE NINTH WARD
- Matt Blackstone is loving THE HATE LIST
- Corrine Jackson delights in DIVERGENT
- Stasia Ward Kehoe celebrates THE LIAR SOCIETY