Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bookanista Feature: Jackie Dolamore's MAGIC UNDER GLASS

I am, perhaps the last person on Earth to read MAGIC UNDER GLASS by Jackie Dolamore. But for today's Bookanista post, I wanted to feature this title, even if I am the last person on Earth to read it.

First: good news! The sequel to MAGIC UNDER GLASS will be out next year, titled MAGIC UNDER STONE. So, if you, like me, are late in reading this book, you also have a shorter time to wait for the sequel. And you're gonna want the sequel. 

A little about the plot of this book: Nimira is a music-hall girl from a foreign country, hoping to make a living as a dancer and singer. When a local sorcerer picks her out of the dance hall to work as a singer with his piano-playing automaton, Nim jumps at the chance to raise her status (and income). But the automaton isn't what he seems to be, and soon Nim finds herself trying to discover just what--or who--he is.

Thoughts on MAGIC UNDER GLASS:
  • Lyrical writing: Nim's voice is careful and evenly paced in a style that reminds me of Laini Taylor's writing.
  • Hard choices: Nim is in a truly hard position in society and in choosing which path she'll take, with more than one perfectly reasonable and viable option for her. 
  • Detailed consequences: I don't want to give anything away, but that THING that happens to the automaton that involves SKIN was...ew. EW. And also: sad. So sad. 
  • Hopeful end: This book doesn't end with a bow on top--but it does end with hope. I'm satisfied as a reader, but still very eager for the sequel.
  • Strong protagonist: I liked Nim. I mean, I really liked her. I wanted to sit her down and talk to her. I wanted to help her decide what to do. I cheered and cried for her. She's definitely the kind of character I could get behind.


Want to find out what the other Bookanistas are raving about today?

15 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing. I haven't read this either.

Vanessa said...

Nope, you're not the last person to read it - that would be me! I had sort of discounted this one, but I'll definitely be picking it up now, so thanks for the push.

Hardygirl said...

You've got me at "style that reminds me of Laini Taylor's writing".

sf

Christine Fonseca said...

AWESOME! Love this review.

Tracey Neithercott said...

Thanks for the review. And no worries--you're not the last person on earth to read it. I haven't yet!

Janet Johnson said...

I haven't read this either. Sounds like a good one though . . . but I might wait on it till that sequel comes out. I'm terrible at waiting! :)

Tere Kirkland said...

Good news! You're not the last one to read this book! ;)

Thanks for the review, I'll have to give Magic Under Glass a go.

Stasia said...

Dancing and sorcery? SO READING this one!

Bethany Wiggins said...

You're obviously the second-to-last person to read it. It is now in my TBR pile.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Well, I haven't read this yet...but it sounds like I need to! Lovely review. Nim sounds like a great character!

Trisha said...

I don't even own the book and have never heard of it. So...nah, you're not the last. :P

Shana Silver said...

This has been on my radar for a while as one I want to read but haven't yet. Now I need to bump it higher on the TBR list because it sounds great!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I loved this book! Such writing! I agree. Can't wait for Magic Under Stone!

Cory Jackson said...

You are not the last person. I am. Great review!

Nikki Oldenburg said...

Thanks for posting this! I actually read Magic Under Glass last year. I loved this book and had wondered if it was a stand alone. Happy to hear there will be a 2nd one. Do you know anything about the story yet???