Friday, January 22, 2010

Today, in Class... That Explains the Snow

My classroom is your typical classroom--except there's a door in one wall. This is because the small room on the other side of the door used to be a storage room, but (because of overcrowding, etc.) it's now an office for the guidance counselor. We just keep that door shut and locked and pretend it's part of the wall.

Yesterday was the first day of school with a new semester, which means: new kids.

New Kid: Mrs. Revis! Mrs. Revis!

Me: Yes?

New Kid: Where does that door go to?

Me: *deadpan* Narnia.

New Kid: *whispers* What?

Me: Narnia. For reals. It's snowing over there. Narnia, White Witch, all that.

Other New Kid, Who Sits Near the Door: Hey, it *is* colder over here!

New Kid and Entire Rest of the Class: *stares at the door in awe*



...and they're sixteen years old.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Priceless! - Laura

christine M said...

Love it!

Ann Finkelstein said...

HaHaHa

Unknown said...

I love that story!

Teri K said...

Don't we all, deep down inside, want to believe in Narnia, after all?

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I wonder if I could get my H.S. classes to go for something like that? I'll have to give it a try - of course, I don't have an extra door in my room. :-)

Clementine said...

No wonder you never run out of story ideas!

Kirthi said...

What grade do you teach? This is hilarious!!! I love it!

Unknown said...

College applications...mythical land filled with allegorical talking creatures. It's all the same to me.

Krista Phillips said...

Hilarious!!!!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I wish you taught me when I was 16! this is so awesome. Thanks for the warm smile. ('cause I'm remembering how much I LOVED the book when I was young)

Unknown said...

LOL, love it!

Kelsey (Dominique) Ridge said...

Wow.

Okay, for a second, I thought that this would be a story about kids in high school not knowing what Narnia is, and then I would have to be very, very sad. But, since it's a story about kids believing in Narnia, it makes me very happy. :D

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my ... hilarious! Absolutely hilarious! Love, Love, Love 'Today in Class'! :-)

Anonymous said...

Bahahaaahaaaa! That's awesome? But how did you manage to get a classroom of non-cynical 16 year olds?

:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me laugh :)

Natalie said...

Ha, ha! Even 16 year olds need a little magic every now and then!

Heather Zundel said...

Oh my goodness, can I tell you how much I *love* your kids?