Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Speaking of Doing it Right

I recently saw this book trailer:


Now, I'm actually...not a fan of book trailers. I'm sorry, but a lot of them are cheesy, using stock photos, using stock music, and using the same pitch used everywhere else. Very few have, in my opinion, really stood apart from the crowd to the point that they actually sold me on the book. But this one stood out from the crowd to me--and I'm going to make sure I get this book.

The best book trailer I've ever seen, is the one for Cindy Pon's Silver Phoenix:


The problem with book trailers is that they're relatively easy to make. Which is also an advantage. With enough determination and a few computer knowledge and programs--such as explained in this article--anyone can make their own book trailer.

But after posting Maria Snyder's widget yesterday, I saw that many of your comments were geared to the "how do I make this?" style. And my first thought was: yeah! How do you make that?! And so I started looking it up.

Same way as I started looking up how to make a book trailer a few months ago.

And, just like then, I realized something important.

I can't do this.

I mean, I know how. Sort of. Enough that I could slap together something.

But something doesn't cut it. It takes a lot for me to bother downloading a book trailer or click on a widget. Because--let's be honest--there are tons of them out there. I'm not clicking on something just because it's there. For me to click on a trailer or a widget takes something special, like Maria's widget or the trailers above.

...but...

Does this mean I'm saying don't bother?

No.

My (failed) attempts at making a book trailer made me think of my work visually, and made me consider the pace of my pitch. In researching how to make widgets, I started thinking of what kind of thing I'd want in a widget about my book.

Consider it a rough draft.

I now have a decent idea of what should go into a book trailer or widget, and a new appreciation for the people who can make them and make them well.

11 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for posting these. I'm not a fan of book trailers either but you're right, Cindy Pon's is excellent. And now I want to read The Iron King. If you ever figure out how to make an awesome widget, please, please do a post on it.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Haha! I actually LOVE book trailers, I could watch them all day, but I just love trailers, any trailers, they're my favorite part of going to the movies. And actually Im not a fan of The Iron King trailer at all...it doesn't do anything for me. BUT that Silver Phoenix trailer! OMG I need to buy that book right now!!!

Mim said...

I saw a really good book trailer attached to a movie--at least it made me read the book. Some of the book trailers are so, so, but others really pop.

I'm planning on having them for my books, whenever they get sold. I'm lucky because my husband does film and video. He can edit me something Amazing, and I don't even have to pay. He's also got the ability to find the essence of the story.

If I had to do it, I couldn't.

Yat-Yee said...

You're right, a book trailer can span the gamut from the cheesy and amateur to something that one would see in the movies. I haven't tried my hands at making one, thought I'd sell my book first, but I suspect my work will not have the same panache as those done by the professionals.

BTW, I noticed the music for both these trailers seem to be quite similar.

Christina Farley said...

I have always loved Cindy Pon's trailer. It's amazing. I still love watching it over and over!

You really do have a good point. I don't want to hudge podge my trailer together. I want it to be good. So good that after other people watch it, they have to read the book. M2 Productions I've heard is expensive. But obviously well worth the money. I've decided to wait and do it right (when the time comes!!!!)

Unknown said...

That's interesting and you're so right! You wouldn't want a rough draft of your book floating around. Anything you do to promote your book should look and feel as professional as you want your book to be. Thanks for the epiphany.

Tess said...

I love a book trailer ... fancy or not. It gives me insight into the atmosphere of the piece (usually). But, I'll check these links out as well. Nothing wrong with improvement :D

Elana Johnson said...

I'll have to come back for the trailers (darn firewalls). And I'm with you. I tried a trailer once. The result? A massive 18-wheeler pile-up train wreck. I won't be doing that again.

Stephanie said...

Those are great trailers! I like the one I did for mine...It's no where near as fantastic as these but I did it myself with my limited computer knowledge!! I do think it looks better than some I've seen!! LOL!! Maybe when I'm selling thousands of books I can afford to pay someone to make really fanatic trailers for me!! Check it out if you want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwapLeZQqw8

PJ Hoover said...

The title is certainly cool!

I think the bar has been raised a huge amount for book trailers. People need to be more clever and think outside the box or they just won't stand out.

Stephanie said...

I agree PJ, but for newbies like me, who do not have the cash to drop on professional trailer designers....well...we do the best we can. :)