Monday, January 4, 2010

Music Monday: Across the Universe


This is a big day for me. And this is a good song for that day. "Across the Universe" is my favorite Beatles song, and NASA agrees with me.

On February 4, 2008, NASA beamed a transmission of "Across the Universe" into space. From the NASA website:

The transmission was aimed at the North Star, Polaris, which is located 431 light years away from Earth. The song will travel across the universe at a speed of 186,000 miles per second. Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney expressed excitement that the tune, which was principally written by fellow Beatle John Lennon, was being beamed into the cosmos.

"Amazing! Well done, NASA!" McCartney said in a message to the space agency. "Send my love to the aliens. All the best, Paul."
Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, characterized the song's transmission as a significant event.

"I see that this is the beginning of the new age in which we will communicate with billions of planets across the universe," she said.

11 comments:

Robyn Campbell said...

Today is the first day of the rest of your life and the day that you journey down the trail to your destination--published author. Good luck and you know, that you know this is gonna happen. :0) *hugs to my writing partner.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Excellent. Good luck for 2010. I always like to start with a song. And you've chosen a good one.

Tana said...

Cool! Thanx for sharing!!!

Yat-Yee said...

That is one cool thing to do. I wouldn't be able to name my favorite Beatles song though. Yesterday, no Eleanor Rigby, no...

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Wonderful song and video and a great start to 2010. Thank you.

Elana Johnson said...

Very cool! I hope 2010 brings you the stars -- and more!

Clementine said...

What a wonderful way to start 2010 - Thanks, Beth!

lotusgirl said...

I love the Beatles. It's nice to share them with the rest of the Universe.

PJ Hoover said...

I hope your day (and year) are stellar :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

good luck in 2010!

Nishant said...

Good luck and you know, that you know this is gonna happen.

Work from home India