Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nerd Spaz, now with more spaz


From Boy Genius Report:
Hardcore bibliophiles need their books. It’s part of the reason why the Amazon Kindle and the Barnes & Noble Nook are such hot commodities right now. But would you pay for a Kindle or Nook if, for just a little extra, you can have an e-reader that supports over 140,000 applications and offers real web browsing and media playback? Probably not. The iPad features iBooks, an application that looks strikingly similar to the “Classics” app available for the iPhone now. Books are displayed on a bookshelf and selecting one opens the book, just like on the iPhone app. It’s a very slick and clean interface and easy to read. There is the argument that e-Ink is so much easier on the eyes, but we spend all day reading blogs and news on the Internet without too many complaints, especially with LED-backlit displays which the iPad makes use of. And with 10 hours of battery life and a month of stand-by time, you won’t be rushing to grab your charger just before you find out what happens to Alex Cross in the last chapter.

WANT EVEN MORE.

7 comments:

B.J. Anderson said...

This looks really awesome. I feel like I'm cheating on my Kindle.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I can't wait until I can get one! They sound wonderful. :) (You had me at 10 hour battery life!)

Scott said...

I was seriously, seriously going to order one at the first available opportunity until . . . I realized that IPad is just a bigger version of ITouch, so, what's the IPoint, since I have an IPhone??

And, as someone pointed out, there is a Kindle app for IProducts, so I can sync my IPhone with my Kindle and still order books from Amazon. Yeah, the IBooks is nifty, but not nifty enough for me to shell out a chunk of money plus another monthly fee for Internet service. Oh, well, something new looms on the horizon . . .

S

Unknown said...

BJ: Cheat, cheat!

Elizabeth: I know!! That's a huge selling point for me, too.

Scott: I'm...actually OK with it. I've taken notes for novels on my iTouch before, and that was a pain. But with this new set-up, I actually think it'll be perfect. This is what I wanted the iTouch to be--so I'm good with the similarities.

Scott said...

Beth - my checkbook does not like your rationalization. I too have taken notes using the IPhone, plus I have the Dragon Diction app, and the voice recorder. Still . . . I think I want a bit more, even though I could email the notes . . . Geesh! That sound you're hearing is my brain coming to a screeching stop and thinking "Hmmm, perhaps the IPad wouldn't be a bad investment!!" : )

Unknown said...

LOL!

I understand, though. I vascilitate on whether or not it's worth the cost. On the one hand, I like taking notes on the iTouch, and the iPad looks like it would be easier to record notes. But, I record notes on the iTouch in part because it's easy to get to...but I can't carry an iPad in my pocket.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if it would be possible to take handwritten notes on a document...in which case, I AM ALL IN.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I SO want one of these! I think that quaking sound you hear is Jeff Bezos over at Amazon...