Sunday, February 22, 2009

*growl of frustration*

So I've started writing a new novel. No moss on a rolling stone and all that. Got the first to chapters done--easy peasy! But see, in this third chapter, I've got to have the character go from one place to another, and I can't figure out how to do it! It's not a natural move, if you know what I mean. I need him to go to this place where he normally wouldn't go--and everything either sounds contrived or takes me too long to get there through explanations that would bore the reader.

My friend Robyn writes through her problems--when she gets to a chapter that's difficult, she writes what she can, then moves on with the knowledge that she'll come back to the other chapter later and fix it.

I think I've got it mostly figured out now, but this is a problem that's been holding me up for over a week. Which leads me to ask:

When you have a problem in your plot (such as getting a character from point A to point B) do you stop writing until you figure out how to solve the problem, or do you just skip it, carry on with the story, and come back to the problem later?
Post a Comment