Friday, February 13, 2009

Getting Back in the Swing of Things...

...is harder than I thought. Getting sick over the weekend meant work in the real job didn't get done, which meant I had to cram it into the afternoons, inbetween recuperating naps (read: collapses into the bed in a Halls-induced fog), which meant I had no time for Intarwebs (blogs, this one and other, as well as emails), which meant that, all in all, very little of anything other than sleep got done, even when I was on the mend.

Anyway, I'm finally starting to catch up! And I'll just say this: Bowen Press gives me hope. At one of those points where I was just mad about sleeping so much, I logged online, only to discover that fledgling imprint of HarperCollins, Bowen Press, had been murdered. (OK, maybe murder is a strong word, but I still think it apropos.) It broke my heart a bit--it certainly hit me more than any of the other "restructuring" (read: lay-offs and murders) of editors/imprints. I think it's because Bowen Press had a blog I read, and because a 2k9 author recently launched her debut novel from Bowen, and because it just seemed like a nice publisher, one I'd like my book to be from.

So I was sad. And then Bowen posted this on the blog: a lighthearted reminder of how this isn't the end of the world. And now the blog has a nice new look and a post that reads only: we're changing things up a litte, watch this space. I don't know what that means entirely...I just know that it gives me a bit more hope about all this mess. Yay for a strong spirit! Yay for hope in the publishing world! Yay for Bowen Press!

4 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Keeping hope is a good thing, Beth! I'm glad you're recovering!

Christina Farley said...

Hang in there Beth. I hope you get back on your feet again soon.

Unknown said...

Thanks guys! I feel way better now...it's just a matter of catching up that's killing me!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Good job on catching up! I hope things keep getting better. *HUGS*