Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Authonomy

Has anyone heard anything about Authonomy? I mean, I know it's legit--it's backed by HarperCollins and all--but has anyone been published through it? ...er, nevermind. Quick Google search reveals: three authors have already been published through Authonomy.

I was clicking around this afternoon and came across it. I participated in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award thing last year, but felt the process was a bit trite. Then I noticed that the second ranked book on the Authonomy page is by an author I met through ABNA forums. And some of those books seem to have garnered a veritably gold mine of comments and helpful suggestions...

...so has anyone had any experience with it at all?

(PS: THANK YOU ALL for the well wishes and digital chicken soup! I am feeling much, much, much better, but still much, much, much swampped trying to catch up after my bout with the flu, so it may still take me a few days to reach full steam again. But your good wishes really made me smile! Thanks!!!)

6 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I have heard of it, but never really read much about it. And I'm glad you're feeling better!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I have been to it and thought about joining. It looks like a great site. I think Nathan Bransford said something good about it awhile back...

Glad you're getting better!

Lexi said...

Beth, so pleased you've joined Authonomy. It's a great site, though addictive and time-consuming.

It can only get better, I think; Harper Collins have further plans for it, and already agents are trawling the site and have contacted several people.

As you know, my book was culled at the first stage of ABNA, as were other books I'd read and knew to be good, so in my opinion their selection process is seriously flawed :o)

See you on Authonomy!

Unknown said...

Thanks PJ and Glam!

Lexi-- There were some serious flaws with ABNA--it was much more about self promotion and publicity than writing. What impressed me with Authonomy was the idea that writing was more important--and there seemed to be a focus on improving writing. I'm still not sure about submitting my work, though. I certainly don't think I'd like to submit more than a few chapters, so I'm a bit torn about my level of participation. I think I'll lurk for a bit and see what's up! :)

lotusgirl said...

All I know about it is that Nathan Bransford blogged about it and that some people are huge fan and others are wary.

Christina Farley said...

My instructor for my writing class didn't seem very impressed with the idea that your mistakes are out there for all to see. She also wasn't too impressed with the money you would make. But then if that stuff doesn't bother you, then she said to go for it.