Friday, July 18, 2008

Setting Goals and Deadlines in Editing

This is something I've never done before: work on a deadline. Generally, in writing, I just write when I want to. Now, I've got something of a schedule just by nature--I tend to write for so long each week, not by personal mandate, just by habit and desire. But with this novel, I did have a deadline to finish writing (before I went to Europe).

Now I think I need a deadline for editing. I hate editing, so maybe I'll finish if I set a deadline. So: all revisions and editing done (at least for the first round) by August 15th. That's just before school starts up again, so if I can finish by then, I've got a shot at maybe starting to submit during school.

And for this week: Cut 13 pages to bring the action to a head by page 50.

Nothing like some goals! Now, I'd better go get to work before my Spartan conscience stabs me!

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Deadlines and goals are good. Helps create that sense of urgency.

Keri Mikulski said...

Yes, deadlines are good and bad.. They're good because I get stuff done, but bad because sometimes they drive me insane. Like locked away in my room for hours insane. :) Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Yeah...I definitely get a feeling of being locked away! I've been working on this all day, and here's the stats:

-Originally, the passage was 64 pages
-Now, the passage is 54

I've only got to cut it down by four more pages, and I'm willing to be a little lenient and only do 2-3. But I'm staring at the pages and wondering what on earth else I could cut. I need a break...I'm going to go see Batman instead!!!