Saturday, July 19, 2008

In Love with Our Books

Libba Bray has a hilarious post on her blog about how writing is like falling in (and out of) love. She splits each stage of writing up and compares it to stages in a relationship. For example, I can remember how, not so long ago, I was at this stage:

THE FIRST DRAFT
I love this book. And it loves me. I never want to be without this book. Never, ever. What? Were you saying something? I'm sorry I can't hear you because my book just said the best thing ever. Wait--just listen to this sentence. I know! Isn't my book so dreamy? I love you, book. Do you love me? Of course you do. OMG--we said that at the SAME TIME! WE ARE SO IN TUNE! This is going to be the best book ever written. Oh, whisper that again. I Pulitzer you too, honey. Sigh.

But now, I'm starting to enter this stage:
THE REVISION, MONTH ONE
Honey...do you still love me? Well, it's just that you didn't say it back a few times. And you've been sort of inattentive. Unresponsive. A bit. Do that funny thing you did early on. You know, that funny thing that made me laugh and laugh and think that you were the cleverest book that ever lived. You know. That thing. Well, honey, if I could remember it, I'd write it down. I was kind of hoping you'd remember. No. It's okay. Don't worry about it. Really.I love you. Do you still love me?
*sigh* And I'm already thinking of new ideas for a different novel. I'm such a flirt.

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

This cracks me up! Thanks so much for the link. I so needed this :)

Unknown said...

I loved reading it...it's perfect. Libba Bray is a genius :)

Tabitha said...

Hilarious! :) Thanks for posting the link. :)