Thursday, July 10, 2008


Nathan Bransford has a great question over at his blog. Now, I love me some Nathan Bransford, but here lately, I've found his posts a little...not as good as usual. But these hypothetical questions he throws out there are really interesting...

Question #1: Let's say there was a seer who could tell you definitively whether or not you have the talent to be a published writer. Absolute 100% accuracy. But. If the seer person said no, that's that. Final answer. Would you want to know?

Question #2: If the seer person said no, you don't have the talent to be a published writer, would you still write?
...So....what's your answer? For me: 1) I'd want to know. Her answer would either be yes--and I'd be inspired; or no--and I'd be too stubborn and would write more just to prove the old hag wrong. As for question 2: I *want* to be published. I want to be loved for writing. I want small children to clap at me when I enter the bookstore. But even if I knew none of that would happen, I'd still want to *try*.

I really like what these hypothetical questions are really saying: would you write even if you were doomed to fail? I hope everyone's answer is yes--the Spartan fight to the death side of me wants my writers to write or die trying. But of course...there's also the depressing reality, the pansy-doubting side of my conscience with the constant questions of "Am I wasting my time? My money? Is there something else I should be doing in life?"

Good thing the Spartan side of me killed off the doubting side of me a long time ago :)
Post a Comment