Monday, August 22, 2011

On ARCs and A MILLION SUNS

I've been getting a lot of questions about Advance Reader Copies (ARCs) recently, so I wanted to do a quick post about them. First: yay! ARCs! They are shiny and pretty and also terrifying--eep! People are actually reading this thing!

And before I go further, I want to remind you: if you're a reviewer who would like to request an ARC, please do so through this form. But also, please know: my publisher will be selecting who gets ARCs, and I've already been informed that we've gotten more requests than ARCs currently available, but not all have been sent out yet. You can read more about Penguin's ARC request policy here. Also? Please don't ask me for one. I honestly don't have any to share. I got just enough to share with a few members of my family and for the contests that I am planning on doing from now to the end of the year.

There are two specific reasons why I wanted to bring up ARCs today. The first is: Please don't feel bad if you don't get an ARC. There seems to be a strange sort of hierarchy on blogs lately, a sort of grouping between the "haves" and the "have-nots." ARCs are not a status symbol. It's not a bad thing if you don't get an ARC. The Waxman Literary Agency did a great post about this not too long ago that I highly recommend, but the long and short of it is simply that ARCs are a tool used by publishers for publicity, and there's no reason at all for you to feel bad if you don't get one.

The second reason why I wanted to talk about ARCs is that: Please remember that ARCs are advance, uncorrected copies, and that there WILL be changes between ARCs and the final copies. Michelle Hodkin recently posted about this, and, like her, there's going to be a change between the ARC and the final copy of my book. In fact, I'm bouncing off the walls about a particular change. I mentioned in a note to my publisher that I thought it would be neat if we did something with a certain scene using a graphic, and I honestly thought it was just not feasible to do...but I am reading the final pass pages of the final copy of the book right now, and THEY DID IT! And it's so PRETTY! And I can't wait for people to see the final copy of the book!!! ZOMG!!! I sort of want to go like a ninja to every person who has an ARC, rip it out of their hands, and say, "WAIT! WAIT! The final copies are going to be so much BETTER!"

*sigh* I guess I'm going to have to wait until January for all of you to see the pretty. *stares at the clock* *stares some more* *taps foot impatiently*

Is it January yet?

20 comments:

Shilpa Mudiganti said...

:D Your posts have that undercurrent of humour and I love it! Looking forward to reading your books. Oh and about ARCs, it doesnt matter to me at all. I like reading the shiny covers that I get from the bookstores!

Rena said...

Awesome post about ARCs! I'd love one of course (who wouldn't!), but it makes me feel hesitant to know that there is an EVEN BETTER VERSION???!!!

So, if that's the case, I can wait.


(oh, and I love your blog!)

Shari said...

Congratulations on your beautiful ARC's and all the excitement with the final copy of your book. I love your blog, too.

Kayla said...

Beth, you are hilarious! I recently saw you on the Ash to Nash tour and can hear your voice saying everything you write on here and Twitter. You are awesome and I can't wait for January either!

Books Are Magic said...

Thanks for the great post! I haven't been blogging for long and I agree with you. It does seem like getting ARCs is somewhat of a right of passage. But thanks to this I'm not going to sweat it :D

P.S I can't wait to see the pretty graphic!!

Theresa Milstein said...

I always wonder how close an ARC is to a final copy. I've read a handful of them, which have all seemed to be in good shape.

Good luck with the book! And good luck to me on getting an ARC!

Anni said...

This is why if we get an ARC and love it, then we buy the final copy too!

Author Lindsay Mead said...

I can't wait to read this book. I have such a good feeling about it!

Diane said...

So exciting! I still have not read your first one yet, it is sitting on my treadmill patiently awaiting its turn. Can't wait!!! :O)

Litza said...

You never cease to crack me up! I shall try to be patient for AMS, but January is sooo faaar awaaaaaaay! Thanks for keeping us all updated, though! I'm so excited to know there are even more fun things to come. :)

Bish Denham said...

Congratulations Beth!

Well I can't hardly wait to get a copy of the finished product. I so enjoy Across the Universe that I'm determined to get A Million Suns.

Julia @ That Hapa Chick said...

I love ARC's (because who doesn't love getting to read books early?) but reading the final copy is always better. If you don't read the final how will you know if there were any important changes? I've heard of situations where it wasn't just a cool graphic added in, but where the whole ending changed from ARC to final copy! Pretty crazy. :)

Christi said...

Thanks for this post, Beth. It helps to know that not getting ARCs is not a personal thing (right? RIGHT?).

So I will not ask for ARCs. What I will ask, however, is if you're planning on offering autographed copies of the finished A MIllion Suns, like you did with ATU at Fireside?

Anonymous said...

That's the one thing about being a blogger that gets to me - that weird hierarchy, like you said. I even feel guilty when I get one.

Sigh. I'm super excited for A Million Suns to come out. I loved the first one! I'll be tapping my foot impatiently along with you.

Jeigh said...

I vote to move January to be after August. Who do we talk to about that?

Unknown said...

Yup! I will definitely be selling signed copies through Fireside again :)

Eliza Tilton said...

January?? Come on, that's just plain cruel...lol

Lindsay Cummings author said...

people will LOVE it! :)

StefanieEmmy said...

Okay, I tried. There was a box to tick for bloggers who are not from the US or any other english speaking country - my hopes are not up very high but they live. ;D
Anyway, I already preordered "a Million Suns", so I definitely will see the pretty version :D

Greetings from Austria,

Stefanie

Unknown said...

Hi Beth! I am soo excited to hear about *gasps* CHANGES from the ARC? YAY YOU!!! I will OF COURSE get a finished copy!!! I can't wait. The cover is GORGEOUS!! I AM SO EXCITED to see where Elder and Amy end up next! Take care!!

Mindy
www.secretofthestars.com
Let us take you Across The Universe to see A Million Suns