Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bookanista Feature: Laini Taylor's LIPS TOUCH: THREE TIMES

The Bookanistas are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers.  No negative reviews here! We post every Thursday and cover various topics– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even cover reviews.




LIPS TOUCH: THREE TIMES by Laini Taylor


Why I loved Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Laini, the author, has cute pink hair, a cute new baby who just turned 1, a cute blog, and also makes the super-cute Laini's Ladies, one of which I have hanging over my desk
  • The illustrations inside are by Jim di Bartolo, Laini's husband
  • The illustrations go hand-in-hand with the stories---a few pages of illustrations added backstory, depth, and deep perception to the written work
  • You could read the stories without the illustrations--but they wouldn't be nearly as good without the complimentary pictures. Likewise, the pictures without the stories lack context
  • There are three stories
  • The first, "Goblin Fruit" has a fantastic end. Just brilliant.
  • It's the kind of end where the main character turns the wrong decision into the right one.
  • Where you know she's wrong...and you don't care
  • Which is a nice change of pace
  • The second, "Spicy Little Curses Such As These" has one of the best titles EVAR
  • What intrigued me about this one is that I wondered about the secondary characters more than the main ones
  • The last story, "Hatchling," did the best at combining the illustrations and the text
  • I went back several times to re-look at the pictures at the beginning
  • And I almost cried at the final drawing
LIPS TOUCH: THREE TIMES is out now and was a finalist for a National Book Award.

*~*~*~*




Other Bookanista Features Today:

13 comments:

Miriam Forster said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK. Love, love, love. In almost a creepy Edward-loves-Bella sort of way. I want to hold it and read it and pet its pretty words.

If I ever write any prose as gorgeous as that, I will be very happy.

Carolyn V. said...

Awesome review! I'm very intrigued. This is going on my tbr list! =) Thanks Beth!

storyqueen said...

I am actually rereading this one right now.

Shelley

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I love this book, as well as Laini's Dreamdark fairy series. She combines intriguing stories with fine writing.

Christine Fonseca said...

Great review...on my TBR list now!

tяϊcϊ@ said...

The cover makes the book interesting :P I'm gonna go pick it up when I've got time.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

So pretty! Sounds so intriguing. The title alone is enough to pull you in. Your review seals the deal.

Elana Johnson said...

I've wanted to read this book for a very long time, but I still haven't read it! I must remedy this soon.

Katie Anderson said...

This was my favorite book of the last year, hands down. In Credible!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Goblin Fruit is perfection. I reread it all the time.

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for your review, Beth. I like your style:)
Happy weekend,
Karen

C.R. Evers said...

hmmmm . . . adding this to my list!

PJ Hoover said...

i loved this book! I felt like I bought a piece of art when I got it. And yes, I esp. loved the final story. I wanted it to be longer!