Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bookanista Feature: Kirsten Miller's THE ETERNAL ONES


The Bookanistas are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers.  No negative reviews here! We post every Thursday and cover various topics– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even cover reviews.

Here is a list of the Bookanistas: Christina Fonseca, Jamie Harrington, Michelle Hodkin, Kirsten Hubbard, Shelli Johannes-Wells, Myra McEntire, Shannon Messenger, Bethany Wiggins and Suzette Saxton, Beth Revis, Lisa and Laura Roecker, Sarah Frances Hardy and Katie Anderson, Scott Tracey, and Carolina Miller



THE ETERNAL ONES by Kirsten Miller




The shortened bulleted review seemed to make people happy, so let's try it again--here are the reasons why I think you'll like THE ETERNAL ONES:
  • I have very strong beliefs in both my religion and my area (don't mess up the South with your stereotypes, y'all), and this book offended neither of them. 
  • I was worried for a bit--but the negativity was more about one particular church instead of the entire Christian religion, and (coming from the South) I can understand that.
  • Did you like the pace and romance of TWILIGHT, but not necessarily the vampires and/or werewolves and/or lack of female lead development? Then you'll like THE ETERNAL ONES--it has all the romance, but no paranormal creatures, and the main character has a backbone.
  • Er. These aren't very bullet-y...more like looooong sentences chopped up with bullets.
  • Sorry.
  • OK--short stuff. Starting....now:
  • The book's 400+ pages long, but reads really quickly--tight pacing and cliffhanger chapters.
  • The main idea of the book is that reincarnation--and therefore past lives--are real. The premise is so well researched and backed up and logical that I very nearly started believing in it, too.
  • There's a gay character who's important, but his gayness isn't central to the plot. This is nice. 
  • By which I mean--the plot's not about a gay guy, it just has a gay guy in the story; which is realistic and the level of realism needed in modern literature. I'm butchering this. Y'all get what I'm saying?
  • The main character has few friends, is somewhat of a social outcast, hates school, etc....and then she leaves high school. On her own. And moves out of the town that hates her. See? I told you she had a backbone. Hurray for doing something instead of whining for 400 pages!
THE ETERNAL ONES comes out sooooon, and you can learn more about here! (<--That's also a pretty spiffy website!)

*~*~*~*




Other Bookanista Features Today:

11 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I enjoyed this too, for all the reasons you mentioned. I thought the romantic lead could have been a bit more swoonworthy, but I get why he's not.

storyqueen said...

Okay, you have intrigued me.....I will definitely put this on the list!

Shelley

Margo Berendsen said...

I won this in a contest, but the very day it arrived my 15 year old stepdaughter got her hands on it, I haven't seen it since (it's at her other home, far far away)

Now I am severly bummed.

Lisa_Gibson said...

I'm looking forward to getting this in my tbr pile. Yay! Thanks for the review.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Shannon Messenger said...

Ooo, I have this one in my pile of Comic Con ARCs and haven't had a chance to read it. Looks like I need to move it up in the pile. :)

Angela Cerrito said...

If u & Lenore both like it, I'm going to check it out!!!

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for the info about this book. Yes, I think I get what you are saying and I appreciate it, cause I think we're similar in this respect.
You've got me curious, so now I may need to go out and get the book!
Have a great weekend,
Karen

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I've been curious about this one, so thanks for the review! :-)

Meredith said...

Haha, I love the bulletpoint review! This one looks great--I'm putting it on my TBR list!

Anonymous said...

I've seen this book around the blogosphere. I'll check to see if it's on my wish list. It looks interesting.

C.R. Evers said...

yep! I totally need to read this one!