Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Morning After

Last night, I started playing around with Scrivener. I was up past midnight, fiddling with the settings, formatting the documents, etc. And when I woke up this morning, it was not a meet-the-sunshine-with-a-smile kind of wake-up. See, random words, paragraphs, and even whole chapters had been "eaten" by the program. There was nothing but big blank white spots throughout the whole thing...and I couldn't get the deleted stuff back. I drove my 40 minute drive to work with the thought of all the work I had fixing my manuscript plaguing my mind. Could I remember the turns of phrase I used? Could I replace what was lost--and would it be as good as the original?

As I put my key into my classroom door, I suddenly realized...

...none of that had happened. It had all been a nightmare that I had last night after staying up too late working on the manuscript. My pages hadn't been deleted, my manuscript was perfectly fine, and I was ready to throw myself off a bridge because of a particularly realistic memory of a dream.

Post a Comment