Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Morning After

Last night, I started playing around with Scrivener. I was up past midnight, fiddling with the settings, formatting the documents, etc. And when I woke up this morning, it was not a meet-the-sunshine-with-a-smile kind of wake-up. See, random words, paragraphs, and even whole chapters had been "eaten" by the program. There was nothing but big blank white spots throughout the whole thing...and I couldn't get the deleted stuff back. I drove my 40 minute drive to work with the thought of all the work I had fixing my manuscript plaguing my mind. Could I remember the turns of phrase I used? Could I replace what was lost--and would it be as good as the original?

As I put my key into my classroom door, I suddenly realized...

...none of that had happened. It had all been a nightmare that I had last night after staying up too late working on the manuscript. My pages hadn't been deleted, my manuscript was perfectly fine, and I was ready to throw myself off a bridge because of a particularly realistic memory of a dream.

Whew!

7 comments:

Bowman said...

If you ever need a white suit and a ride, I can help you. ;)

I think I've had experiences like this one, but I don't know if they survived 40-minute drives.

The line between fantasy and reality is shrinking!

Unknown said...

I definitely need the white suit!

I think it lasted so long in part because I wasn't really awake yet--no caffeine until I get to work--and so I just let it stew and stew in my brain...which is absolutely leaning away from reality!

lotusgirl said...

Oh my gosh! You had me so scared for your loss and trying to figure out ways to retrieve your blank pages before I got to the end. Psyche!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Hey, this looks like an amazing tool for writing. And yes, I've had dreams like that, too, but the other way around - where I had a problem in real life, dreamed that I fixed it, and woke up to realize it was still there. Looming.

Unknown said...

Lois--Sorry to scare you! But at least it was a happy ending!!

Glamis--You know, I think your dreams are worse--a better dream, but more troubling reality!

PJ Hoover said...

OMG! That's worse than dreaming you've skipped class for an entire semester and are going to fail!

Unknown said...

Haha! Totally agree!!