Monday, December 8, 2008

First Lines

Christine has a post about first lines up at her blog, and from feedback from critiquers and beta readers, I'm giving new thought into my own first lines (and chapter) in my WIP. Miss Snark's First Victim recently had a "first line critique" where people posted their first two lines and readers commented on whether or not it was an adequate hook. Mine is here, but there are over 80 on her site, and they're worth reading, just to see what grabs us and what doesn't. I don't know about you, but I often get a little blind to my own writing and need others to point that sort of thing out.

2 comments:

christine M said...

Thanks for the link. And first lines are so important. I think knowing that is what makes them hard to write (the pressure, oh! the pressure!)

lotusgirl said...

Thanks for the links. I was just trying to figure out if my first paragraph is ready to send to Nathan Bransford's contest. This will be a good gauge for my first lines.