Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Poetry Tuesday? Also, writing the wrong thing.

So I was reading Graceling author Kristin Cashore's blog today, and was just struck by how beautiful the poem (actually, song lyrics) she posted is:
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything --
That's how the light gets in.
- Leonard Cohen
Then I continued reading the post and found this:
Anyway, I wrote many, many pages, about half of which I crossed out, but that's okay, that's what this book seems to be like -- I write the wrong thing about 5 times, and that brings me around to the right thing. I hope?
That's what my revisions have felt like for me lately. A whole lot of cut, rewrite, cut, rewrite. I wrote the first chapter FIVE times. Five. Five. Carefully laid out chapters are getting slashed and rearranged and cut and repasted and cut again and...

...argh.
Post a Comment