Monday, August 18, 2008

Plot vs. Story

This is a debate I've never heard of: plot vs. story. Sherwood Smith has a great post on her blog that details the difference. What I'm going to talk about, though, is her t-shirt.
During the three days a year it's cool enough hear to wear long sleeves, I have a beloved Writing Shirt...it says [on the back], Plot is a literary convention;story is a force of nature And it's signed by Teresa Nielsen Hayden. [ETA: For sale right here.]
I think that one sentence sums it up. Anyone can have a plot, just like anyone can have a metaphor or a simile or alliteration. It's just a literary convention: if you know what it is, you can recreate it. Story, however is more. If you have a series of events, you have a plot. But to have a story, then you actually have to be good.

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Nice topic!
And it does remind us that we can have all the key elements, but we need to strive for that extra stuff which really makes the difference!

Yukino Tsukishima said...

I agree! I want that T-shirt!

Unknown said...

I know, PJ...I have to keep reminding myself that a brilliant plot is nothing without a brilliant story, too!

Winter--there's a link to buy it; I'm thinking of getting one, too.