I'm all in favor of the microloan charity, a popular feature in my favorite charity, World Vision. Basically, what a microloan does is provide a needy woman with the funds she requires to held make herself independent. For example, if the woman's a seamstress, the microloan will help her buy a sewing machine so she can then work, pay off the loan, and become an independent business owner. It's the epitome of the old saying, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime."
Candy explains Matt Brady's personal mission on her blog, and also adds:
To read the story of his month-long, life-changing journey, go HERE. To read more about Joy 2 The World and who/why you're help is needed, go HERE. If you're still not sure, read more about founder, Kathleen Gibbs HERE.
Of course, I wanted to help Candy out in her goal to raise money for the microloan project! Who wouldn't? Fortunately, Candy has come up with several ways to help: GIVE a donation, BUY a t-shirt, CREATE graphics to spread the word, or LISTEN to the New World music (each download of which supports the project).
And the best part? Do any of these things, tell Candy, and you could win AWESOME prizes:
- 30 minute phone call with superagent Michelle Wolfson
- 3 chapter tandem critique by authors Tawna Fenske & Cynthia Reese
- "Lost Dog," "Chasing Smoke" and "Day One" autographed book set donated by author Bill Cameron
- A copy of "NUMB" and a 50 page critique by author Sean Ferrell
- A copy edit of your ms by supereditor Gretchen Stelter
- "We Hear the Dead" tee and ms critique by author Dianne Salerni
- Query letter + 3 chapter critique + special pre-order of "Across the Universe" by author Beth Revis
- One of (4) signed prints, (1) signed original, and (2) query critiques donated by author Rose Cooper
- 10 Page critique + one of (3) $25 Amazon Gift Cards donated by author T.H. Mafi
- Query critique by author Matthew Rush
- ARC of "Dead Beautiful" by Yvonne Woon donated by Candyland
- MORE PRIZES TO COME!
Why, yes--that IS a prize up there by yours truly--a query letter and 3 chapter critique, plus the VERY FIRST preorder of my book, coming out next year!!
I think we can all agree that this contest is awesome, but what the money's going for--to help needy Ghana women help themselves--is even more important. And what we need now, beyond donations and aid for these women--is to get the word out.
So I'm going to match Candy's contest! If you post about Candy's contest and/or about the mission to provide microloans to Ghana women, post a link in the comments below, and when Candy's contest ends, I'll draw a name...and the winner will receive a $15 Amazon gift card!
That's all you have to do--tell someone else about this amazing mission. Spread the word, spread the love, and win prizes!