Monday, November 30, 2009

Music Monday

Between my notes on Michael Franti how he expresses mood through song and WriterGirl's suggestion of Still Alive as the theme for my current on-submission work, I'm starting to think I need to start a music video meme. Whatcha think? Something of interest to y'all?


Anyway, here's my latest musical find. The singer's name is Mads Langer (YES. His name is MADS. Aren't you already thinking how much cooler he is than you?). I first heard this song at the end of the latest episode of Castle, and I loved it so much that I sought it out.


I'm glad I did. When I first heard the lyrics, I thought that I might find the perfect song for my current WIP, about berserkers and golems and lots of killing and such. It's a comedy. (kidding) I could do without the wailing bit he does towards the end--I've never been a fan of the look-how-much-I-can-do-with-my-voice wail, but the actual song itself is beautiful, even moreso with the words.





And here's the lyrics here, for those of you who can't/won't open the video. It's the lyrics I love, although I must admit that Mads has a haunting voice to go along with them.


[deleted lyrics to avoid copyright infringement]



What I love about this song is that it portrays a story--but in such a vague way that the singer is Everyman, that you can fit it in any genre. This could be the beginning of a romantic comedy, the end of a tragedy. It could be the theme of a fantasy, or could just be a passing thought in a character's mind.


Either way, I like it.

5 comments:

lotusgirl said...

I love the idea of Music Monday. This song is wonderful. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to have to look for more of his stuff. This song could be perfect for one of my Characters. In fact, he even has a dream...

Angela Ackerman said...

Okay. That is totally a cool name. I feel like the lame level just went up in my house reading it.

(I know what you mean about the wail--it makes me usually want to claw my ears off. Stop while you're ahead I say!)

Elana Johnson said...

I'm a sucker for new songs. And dude, I've got nuthin' on Mads. Boy, what a loser am I. :-(

About Me said...

I had a perfect song for my last novel, but still haven't found the perfect one for my current WIP.

Good luck with your novel on submission!

Robyn Campbell said...

I love this! How come I have nevah heard of him before? Sheesh, am I out of it, or what? I feel like Michael needs a cool song. Best go and search for one or he's gonna be mad at me. :)