Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Kick-start Your Writing


Between work and stress and work and a little more work, I've not been able to dedicate much time to my writing lately. And that's OK. Like I said before, I know that my writing life must necessarily be different from those who can make writing their first and only job.

But the point is, I've been a bit...lax about writing lately. When I get a little behind, I let myself get further behind.

So, this weekend, while I was sitting at the coffee shop with my husband, I really started getting back in the grove. But, like always, time started slipping away. It didn't help that the coffee shop had good wi fi. Besides, we couldn't spend all day sipping coffee, and soon enough I'd have to pack up, go home, and get to work on other projects (including dishes that hadn't been washed in a week).

I looked up at the husband. "Husband," I said, "I wish I could take my laptop and my newly found writing groove and go to the Biltmore House and sit in the lawn and write."

The husband looked at me. "Dude. We have season passes. We could totally do that."

So we did.



Oh, wait. You can't see the view? Lemme zoom that in for you.


 

Nice, isn't it? And the best part-- no distractions. Sure, it was a bit cold sitting outside in the mountains as the sun was setting, but there was no wi fi, no friends, no cell phone reception...and I was able to write two chapters.

And keep hold of that writing groove.

Not to mention that, when I finally packed up and went home, this was my parting site of the Biltmore House:




Totally. Worth. It.

So, where do go or what do you do to get back in the writing groove?

17 comments:

Rhiannon Hart said...

Wow, what a beautiful house! I need to find a place to give me my groove back. My word count is flagging.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, wow! How LOVELY!!!

I like the new look of your blog, too. There's something to be said for simple and clean. :)

I changed my look, too.

Unknown said...

Rhiannon: For me, a change in location almost always works. Even if I just go out to the backyard with a notebook.

Jennifer: Thanks! I'm going to check out your blog right now. I've been terribly behind in blogging.

Linda Kage said...

I concur with everyone else... WOW, what a view. I think that'd kick start my writing inspiration too.

Unknown said...

Linda--So much so that I'm trying to fit time in my Thanksgiving Holiday to go again!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, good for you, Beth!

storyqueen said...

That is so beautiful. I would love to have a spot like that.

Shelley

Vonna said...

Congratulations on having such a great place to write. It's nice, too, that Husband was willing to go along and be supportive while you spent hours writing.

Unknown said...

Congrats on getting your groove back! I know the feeling, because I've been there before. I've found the best places to kick-start my motivation are:
-locking myself in a quiet room and not allowing myself to come out until I've reached some goal I set, whether I feel like doing it or not.
-writing outside in the park, or on camping trips
-walking around a bookstore, surrounding myself with lot's and lot's of books
-or reading a really good book that kick starts my creative juices

Good luck in keeping the groove alive!

Unknown said...

Corey: Thanks! :)

Shelley: I love being so close to the Biltmore House. It's one of my favorite spots around here. And while a one day pass is expensive, a full year pass costs less than going twice. I plan on taking full advantage of it!

Vonna: My husband is the *best.* I guess I'll keep him ;)

Michelle: I do it *all* the time. I'm always falling in and out of touch with writing, especially during the school year.

I need to go somewhere new, though, preferably without wi fi. That's my constant downfall. Surrounding yourself with books at the bookstore, though...that's a neat idea. I like it!

Katharina Gerlach said...

I like the new layout. Also, I envy you the park. The view is nice.

Katharina Gerlach said...

Guess what, I can now comment! Thanks Beth.

Unknown said...

Oh, yay Cat! I wondered if I changed layouts I'd be able to hear from you!!

Heather Zundel said...

You rock my world, you know that Beth? And your husband is so sweet and awesome to think of something like this. What a view!

Teri K said...

I love Biltmore! When my son and daughter-in-law were in Charleston I always stopped on the way back for a couple of days. I've considered moving to the Asheville area at some point. How do you like it?
I'm afraid I don't write regularly enough to be able to answer your question. I guess for me it's not so much a place as making myself stop everything else and just do it. Still trying to get there regularly.

Becky Levine said...

Here's to husbands that say "Dude, you can do that." :) I think I've been to the Biltmore house DECADES ago, as a kid, but never imagined writing there. So cool. I think I may need to find a place around her that feels that way.

Beth, I just want to say, that it's people like you who are doing the other job/writing thing that I'm trying to use as my model for the next few years. I don't want to go back to an office/cubicle as my son gets older, but I do want to earn money & don't see my fiction as getting me there. So my mantra is something along the lines of "If so-and-so (i.e., Beth) can work outside (i.e. teach) AND make progress on their fiction, I should be able to handle writing for $/teaching AND my fiction." Basically, that's a long way to say I admire you for the way you do all this. Not to mention your in-the-classroom posts!

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Christina Farley said...

Oh so lovely. I love the Biltmore House. What an inspirational place! I know what you mean about getting lax on writing. I was doing so well, but I have a teacher's workday and conference to run this weekend- eek! Once that's finished, I'll be back in the saddle again. Oh and I have tons of pictures with Critter! I must must post! He's been having fun.