Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Your Simple Rules to Grammar, part 3

Part One: Definitions
Part Two: IC/DC Rules

Welcome to my third post in the series: What to do with prepositional phrases!

My other posts were a bit long. You'll be relieved to see this one is shorter.

Prepositional phrases are treated the same way as dependent clauses: you follow dependent clauses with punctuation.

I call it the PP Rules: The Prepositional Phrase rules (although my kids do like saying PP).

THE PP RULES
  1. IC PP.
  2. PP, IC.
It's the same as with dependent clauses: if it's at the end of the sentence, no comma; if it's at the beginning of the sentence, comma.

Example:
  • I cried after reading the book.
  • After reading the book, I cried.
The only difference in the above two sentences are where the phrase is. If it's at the end, it gets the period. If it's at the beginning, it needs a comma after it.

Questions? Ask me, because I'm a grammar fan-girl.

6 comments:

lotusgirl said...

Thanks for that. It was something I learned wrong. I thought there was always a comma. But it seemed too much so... I always felt weird about it.

Robyn Campbell said...

So... no matter where it's at, it needs punctuation. Either a period or a comma. Yeah, *shakes fist at commas. :) Thanks.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

LIke your students I just like saying I C PP.

but damn if it isn't a great way to emember this rule!!!

Danyelle L. said...

Great post, Beth! Thanks for sharing grammar in digestible, easy to understand bites. :D

PJ Hoover said...

You are an awesome grammar fan girl!

Unknown said...

*basking in grammar fangirl glow* Thanks everyone!

(PS: Ello--my kids love to "trick" me into saying the rule IC PP!)