Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Today, In Class

In my American literature class, we're reading from Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. He describes a character's death, and mentions that the definition of war is contradictory. "War is ugly, war is beautiful," he says.

Me: Look here, where he's talking about rocket's red glare. He's saying that war can be beautiful. When you're in it, it's scary, it's ugly--but it's also beautiful.

Kid: What if, like, the rocket shot into your eye? Would it be pretty when it blew up your eye?

Me: Umm...that's not exactly--

Other Kid: How can you see it if your eye's blown out?

Girl Next to Him: You've got two eyes, stupid, you can just look at it with your other one.

Me: *facepalm*

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

HAHAHAHA.... ah, the future is a beautiful thing.

Sage Ravenwood said...

(chuckling) Leave it to kids to find the loophole. (Hugs)Indigo

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha! Only eight more days. Love the countdown :)

Mim said...

I'm going to miss these updates over the summer break--though I'm sure you won't. You deserve a good long summer break!

Crystal said...

That's so funny, Beth! Kids do say some of the darndest things!

Also, love the new look of your blog!

Kate said...

You're class is great :D

Anonymous said...

I took the war is ugly/war is beautiful to mean that, while the violence of war is an ugly manifestation of man's rage and greed, wars also liberate sometimes, like when Patton's 3rd army marched down the Elbe into the town in Czechoslovakia where I was born, routing out the Germans. I think that' more a beautiful part of war, than rockets red glare. But, that's just my own interpretation.

Fred

Unknown said...

Fred: Absolutely. I eventually took the conversation to that--but in the line right after that, O'Brien mentions the rocket's red glare, so I was hoping they could gradually come to the idea of it through something a little more familiar :)

Mim: I sure won't!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks y'all :)

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my gosh ... these never fail to make me laugh out loud! Love the new look of your blog, by the way!

Steph Su said...

lol, oh kids. On a side note, The things They Carried is one of my favorite books that I read in English class, so yay for introducing the kids to it!