Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Today in Class: Not Available

Okay, so this actually happened yesterday, and it wasn't for a class but for a club instead. So, basically, the title is mostly lies.

As some of you know, I not only teach World Lit in high school, but I also advise the Creative Writing Club--a group of teens who want to become writers or poets in the future that meets weekly to discuss their own and others' works. One thing I've started doing recently is coordinating Skype visits with published authors so the kids can have a chance to see what it's like for the real professionals.

This week, the wonderfully amazing PJ Hoover (author of THE EMERALD TABLET, THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD, and the not-soon-enough to be released NECROPOLIS) came to speak to the kids, which was very nice of her considering how some of the kids are such obsessive fans of her work that they treat THE EMERALD TABLET like Edward treats Bella.

So anyway, just before the meeting I was talking to one of the kids (who happened to be extremely excited, but also extremely nervous to meet her hero).

Kid: What am I going to say?

Me: Just ask her all those questions you have about writing. We talked about it last meeting.

Kid: I know...but I don't want to look stupid.

Me: Don't worry about it.

Kid: What other authors are coming?

Me: [starts listing, but Kid interrupts]

Kid: Hey! I know who you should invite next!!!

Me: [amused at her excitement] Who?

Kid: Remember when we read that book about Hell in class?

Me: THE INFERNO, yes.

Kid: You should totally get that Dante guy who wrote it to talk to our club!

Me: ...

Kid: [looks of eager anticipation]

Me: Uh...

Kid: ...Wait. He's dead isn't he?

Me: Since the 1300s, yeah.

Kid: See? I told you I'd say something stupid.


PS: Have you seen my post about the fortune cookie of fortune yet? Cause it's quite....fortuitous. I'm just sayin'. Big announcements coming soon, and I tend to celebrate announcements by giving away stuff, so, yanno, you might want to stick around for the show next week. Oh, and if you haven't become a member of the blog (click on the Google Follow to the right!), then you might want to before, say...Monday. 

9 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

It was such a blast to visit with the kids, Beth! Thank you so much for the opportunity!

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

Ahahahahahahhahhahaha awesome.

I'm not laughing at this kid, I'm laughing with them ;)

Davin Malasarn said...

I'm glad your student figured it out! And, they liked Dante! I'd love to Skype with Dante too, actually.

Abby Annis said...

That's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

How did you resist giving him a hug?! :)

Elana Johnson said...

Excellent conversation! And kids are awesome, aren't they? I love teaching.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Too funny! But I love that the kid figured it out; I'm just sorry she was afraid to say something stupid. Did she speak up during Skype despite the earlier gaffe?

Vanessa said...

lol! Your classroom stories always crack me up.

The Screaming Guppy said...

Hahah! Your classs stories are always a hoot!