The Bookanistas are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers. No negative reviews here! We post every Thursday and cover various topics– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even cover reviews.
Here is a list of the Bookanistas: Christina Fonseca, Jamie Harrington, Michelle Hodkin, Kirsten Hubbard, Shelli Johannes-Wells, Myra McEntire, Shannon Messenger, Bethany Wiggins and Suzette Saxton, Beth Revis, Lisa and Laura Roecker, Sarah Frances Hardy and Katie Anderson, Scott Tracey, and Carolina Miller
This is the kind of book I wish I could write. Y'all, funny is the hardest style to write, and Rachel nails it.
DEMONGLASS is the sequel to HEX HALL, and because I
begged no, begged Shelli (who got a signed ARC) to share, she passed it along the Bookanista line.
*sigh of bliss*
Here's the good things:
- The sequel is better than the first: so if you read and liked HEX HALL, you will LOVE DEMONGLASS
- Sophie, the main character, has the perfect combination of sarcasm and vulnerability
- Cal, the third wheel of the love triangle (<<--is that even a phrase?) is perfectly painted. What a realistic way to create a love triangle--his love for her is built on friendship and admiration, and seems very real, even though Cal's a silent, stoic character.
- Sophie is aware of the presence of the love triangle, and she doesn't lead him on, and that's so refreshing. I'm not saying there's nothing there--I'm saying Sophie doesn't take advantage or use either boy she's attracted to.
- The plot is so tightly woven. And while I guessed the twist about her mom, I did not at all guess the other twist like at all. I gasped aloud on the airplane and woke up the person sleeping next to me.
- It's set in England. Loff <3 loff <3 loff.
Here's the bad thing:
- I'm working on my sequel for Across the Universe right now. And she makes me worried that my Book 2 will never be as good as her Book 2!!! *dies of anguish* ARGH ARGH ARGH
Other Bookanista Features Today: