Thursday, December 20, 2012

PLEASE HELP ME GET INTO SPACE

Okay, not me, actually, but my book.

Penguin is going to send my book into space. WHAT THE WHAT I KNOW. Space. Entertainment Weekly, which just announced the program, calls it a "literal book launch into space" and my heart did a little flipflop because word play and space y'all.

YES THIS IS REAL LIFE THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING OMG YOU GUYS THEY ARE SENDING MY BOOK ABOUT SPACE INTO SPACE I CAN'T UNCAPSLOCK THIS I CANNOT CONTROL MY EMOTIONS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*rocks in the corner and hyperventilates*

This is by far one of the coolest things that has happened to my books ever. Here's a little bit about how it went down. (Edited because my mind's still doing flips at the announcement.)

Me: Um. You guys? I had this weird idea that maybe we could do but you probably won't like it okay I guess I'll go shut up now and type something on my computer please ignore me.
Penguin: (in a very kind voice) What was your idea?
Me: Um. No. That's okay. It was really weird and you'll probably just laugh at me and maybe take away my book deal for being so weird.
Penguin: (pats me on the head) No, seriously, just tell us.
Me: Okay. Okay. See. I know this is strange. But. Um. What if we sent my books into space. That would be kind of cool, yeah? No? Okay. I'll go sit quietly in the corner now. 
Penguin: OMG WE LOVE THIS IDEA PREPARE THE SPACE SHUTTLE.

Have I mentioned how much I love Penguin? BECAUSE I LOVE THEM LIKE WHOA. I mean, honestly. What publisher would be willing to send a book into space for you? Penguin, that's who.

The official announcement about the launch (space launch. book launch. squee! word play!) is over at Entertainment Weekly, along with a video where I tried my best not to be awkward and that was like the 20th take, no lie.

But here's the thing. The launch will only happen if we get as many preorders for Shades of Earth that we got for Across the Universe and A Millions Suns combined.

Which. *gulp*

But. I think we can make it happen. I really, really, really do. I have total and absolute faith that we can make this happen.

Here's some details:

  • If you've already pre-ordered the book, congratulations! I LOVE YOU. And your pre-order counts toward the final count! Also? Your pre-order counts toward my ultimate fan contest, so don't forget to enter it!
  • If you've not pre-ordered the book yet, pretty-please do. ALL pre-orders count, no matter where they come from. Here, for your convenience, are links:
  • If you want, you can also pre-order a copy from your local bookstore (which I highly encourage!) This also counts toward the contest.
  • You could also pre-order a copy from my local bookstore, and when it is shipped to you, it will be SIGNED by me, and I'll throw some extra swag or something in with the package. You can pre-order it online or by phone here.
  • If you live near Morganton, NC, and would like to come to my book-signing, the book launch party will be held on January 15, from 4-7pm at the Morganton Public Library. More details on that will be posted soon, but you can pre-order your copy through Fireside Books, and come to the party, and it will be waiting there for you, and I will sign it, and we'll talk about that time you helped me book get into space, good times.
  • Don't have the funds to pre-order the book and want to help out with this campaign? All you have to do--and this is so simple--is ask your library to pre-order it. Seriously! If they buy the book--which they are more likely to do because it is requested--then their pre-order counts, and you don't have lose any cash over it! Also, if you do this, I will love you forever and ever. Also? Doing this counts toward my ultimate fan contest, too.

5 comments:

Lyla said...

That is beyond cool. I'll have to jump over to Amazon right now!

B.E. Sanderson said...

If anyone's book deserves a shot at this amazing opportunity, yours does. I posted the link to this to Facebook. Good luck, Beth. =o)

Natalie Aguirre said...

How very awesome Beth! So excited for you. And I got an ARC and your book is amazingly fantastic. It's one of the best ends to a trilogy I've read. Happy Holidays!

Anna Staniszewski said...

SO AMAZING! Just pre-ordered my copy. :-)

Lora Palmer said...

So exciting! Pre-ordered my copy ages ago and can't wait to read it :)