Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Writing Wednesday Master Post


This is a static page collecting all the tips and articles I've written about writing. Please feel free to add suggestions in the comments to this post!

And you can help! I don't want to be working on something that no one wants to read, so please, if you enjoy these articles, help spread the word about them. I've got links at the bottom of this post for all major social networking sites.

Right now, these are the topics that I plan on doing soon. I don't want to nail anything down too much, because if this starts to feel like homework, I'll probably blow it off. Besides, spontaneity and surprise is fun!





Writing Topics Already Covered:

Upcoming Topics for Writing Wednesdays:
-The Difference Between Editing with Crit Partners and Editing for an Editor
-Writing Sequels


Things I'm Not Planning on Writing About Because They Have a Really Short Answer and Here It Is:

Q: Do you need a degree in creative writing to write a novel?
A: No.

Q: What do you do when you get writer's block?
A: I don't get writer's block. I get lazy. When I feel "stuck" it's because I'm being a lazy writer, so I force myself to work harder. This is not to say that writer's block doesn't exist. This is just to say that I'm a terrible person to try to help with this question.

Q: What do you do when you don't feel inspired/don't feel like writing.
A: I do one of three things: (1) don't write, (2) write anyway, or (3) drink heavily.

Q: What do you do when you finish the novel? What's the next step?
A: Get critique partners, and then rewrite the novel because it sucks.

Q: How do you trim fat from the novel without feeling guilty about cutting something/someone?
A: I don't feel guilty. I slash my novel to bits. I'd much rather cut everything and start from scratch rather than try to force something to work that doesn't work.

Q: Do you ever feel bad about hurting your characters?
A: No.

Q: What do you do when there's something in the story you love, but you can't make it work without shoe-horning it in?
A: Cut it.

Q: How do you keep a story from being boring?
A: When in doubt, blow something up and/or kill a character.

Q: Tips for keeping your butt in the chair?
A: When you're on a roll writing, come up with an idea for what your next scene should be--but don't write it. Just write like a sentence of description. Then, the next day, when you start writing again, you already know exactly what you want to write next. Finishing before the creative well is dry means you get started on a roll right away with the next scene.

Q: Are there tips or things that you always do when writing?
A: No. Every book is different, from creation to completion. What works for one will NOT work for the other (at least for me).


Any questions that I've not answered here or listed as an upcoming topic that you're dying to learn about? Leave it here in the comments and I'll try to tackle it one way or another!
Post a Comment