Monday, August 13, 2012

Coming Soon: Writing Wednesdays

Hi all!

So I've been thinking a lot about the process of writing lately--mostly because I've just wrapped up one book trilogy with the completion of SHADES OF EARTH and am also starting another project on something that both excites and terrifies me. The whole situation has made me think about the processes and how I write and edit, and since I usually think in words and because I've been meaning to beef up the "for writers" section of my website....all this led me to come up with a new idea for a series of posts.

I'm calling it Writing Wednesdays because (a) I like alliteration, and (b) it's smack-dab in the center of the week, so no pressure to be smart right out of the gate on Mondays. 

But I'd love to get your feedback on this. I've already done a few writing posts before (check out the Quick Links on the menu bar to the right). And I don't want to do the same stuff you can find anywhere else, and I don't want to be boring.

So: a few questions for you!

Would you like to see weekly-ish posts about writing on this blog? Please be honest! You're not going to hurt my feelings if you think this is a bad idea--I want to know if this is something people want or not.

If so, what are some writing related topics that you're most interested in seeing me write about? Is there a burning question? A need-to-know subject? Let me know!

Related: some people have mentioned they're having trouble with the comments on my site--it's something I'm working on, but don't have an easy fix for right now. If you can't get to the comments by clicking COMMENTS below, please try clicking here.

16 comments:

Alexa D. said...

Yes! Writing Wednesdays sounds awesome!

I would love to hear about:
-- plotting and pacing (especially with regards to building suspense/mystery)
-- your writing process (ie: any "butt in chair" tips?)
-- POV and character voice (is your new project also in first person? If not, would love to hear your thinky-thoughts on POV/tense in YA -- much of it is in 1st person nowadays. Would be interested to hear how you decided to make AtU 1st person alternating POV, how you differentiated between characterizations in those alternating chapters, etc.)

Those are the top three that come to mind :)

Adriana said...

I'd love to see writing posts from you! This sounds like a great idea :)

Ashley said...

Yes this sounds really awesome and would enjoy reading it. I would like to read about the planning brainstorming process, how do you develop the character, and how do you plan for events or twists that develop throughout the series.

Unknown said...

I love the idea of Writing Wednesday! I don't have much by the way of ideas. I know personally, I think I've come up with a good book idea but I just don't know how to actually begin. I don't know how you get to the starting point. But that's just me.

Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

I would love to hear about what you do in the revision process. Are there tips or things you ALWAYS do.

Gina said...

Sounds like a great idea! I agree with Alexa D. above, "butt in chair" and "keep chugging" tips are top of my list. Also, how you troubleshoot plot issues and make your characters sound and act like people. (So... pretty much anything is game.)

Jessica Renfro said...

I think it's a great idea! I love seeing other writer's processes. I would like to see some posts on plotting and character development. Those are my two biggest writing hang-ups. I understand the concept of the 3-Act Structure, but when it comes to applying it to my own work I'm clueless.

Jessica Renfro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Something I would love to hear about is the editing process. And more specifically, how that changes when you have an agent and an editor. But I'm all ears on any writing subject!

Bish Denham said...

Indeed, I think a writing post from you would be wonderful.

I'd like to learn all about your process for revising and editing.

Rebecca Harwell said...

Yes please!!! Nothing feeds my inner writing nerd like blogposts on writing. It's always great to here how pro writers do it.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I'd love that! (:

I'd like to hear about characters and voice, because I have issues with them. :s

mshatch said...

oh yay! I can comment! And I think your idea is a fabulous one - even better now that I can comment ;)

PWDecker said...

It's always awesome to hear how authors create books I really like! Can't wait until the third installment!!!

Anonymous said...

I would love that! I have a lot of questions but my first would be how do you go about writing sequels?

Aj

Lynsey Newton said...

I'd really like to know about revision and what happens AFTER you've written the crappy first draft.