Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cutting Libraries...

Recently on my SCBWI-Carolinas listserv, some members have been discussing the budget cuts local libraries are going through. I know that there have been many movements and discussions on the same topic on Twitter over the past few months.

And it worries me.

From what I can see, the vast majority of these budget cuts are a reflection of the recession. But when a recession hits a country, libraries are one of the most needed resources for those laid off, struggling through school, and who need access to information now outside their own financial means.

As BoingBoing put it:

One of the listserv members also pointed me in the direction of this interesting link, where Google Maps is used to show a nation without school libraries. This seems, to me, to be a blatent disregard for the importance of books to students. As the description lists it:
Although hundreds of studies show the impact that School Librarians have on student achievement, these school districts believe otherwise. 

One of the Anonymous Commenters on BoingBoing said it the best:
This reminds me of a sign in my childhood public library: "Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries."
Post a Comment