Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Storms

Last night was pretty scary.

Just as we were going to bed, the whole house lit up with lightning--it was as bright as day for several seconds. I rushed to the door and called the dogs inside. Just in time--moments later, hail and thunder and lightning rained down on us--hard. The power flickered, then died. Lightning lit up the sky--well over a dozen lightning bolts a minute--and the sky turned strange colors--pink, beige, a weird bright blue-green color. My husband and I listened for tornadoes; we made a hasty plan for shelter.

The storm lasted over an hour. In the end, several power lines broke and poles snapped. Dozens of trees fell. And tragedy struck.

It was a bad storm--and yet, tiny compared to the damage in Alabama and other parts of the south. Compared to Japan. Compared to other disasters around the world.

My previous post is also on the storms and what we can do to help. I was going to post something different today. But, given the weird blue-green sky in the middle of the night and lightning that is both beautiful and terrifying, and twins who will never graduate...well, I figured it was worth it to spend one more day not forgetting the terror of nature and the mercy of humans.

And don't forget: if you can, help out the victims.

11 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

The south has been getting hit hard these days. I watched the news with my students this morning. I'm glad you're okay.

Jessica said...

I'll NEVER forget how the sky looked here the night of the tornadoes. It was exactly how you described. It was BRIGHT blue-green and the sky stayed lit up forever. I had never seen anything like that before, or the sky looking so odd.

Those storms taught me a lesson. We now have a weather radio, batteries, and are stocking up on water and food.

It all just seems crazy to me because I've never seen storms like we have been having.

Glad you all are okay.

ali cross said...

((hugs))

Karen Lange said...

Glad you are okay.

Amanda Willen said...

Those lights in the sky, blue, green purple. Those are the definite signs that ya'll had a tornado near.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

...glad to know all is well

stay safe, my friend

kary

Unknown said...

Oh, how sad. I hate to hear bad news like that. Glad you, your husband, and dogs are alright.

Kat said...

Glad you're alright! I experienced many of the same things during last night's storms. The sky and the thunder and lightning were pretty terrifying-- we lost a tree, but nothing worse than that. ...And today the afternoon is all sunny and gorgeous. Huh. I really hope the storms don't return tonight!

Unknown said...

Always a good thing to remember. I'm so glad you're promoting!

Claire Dawn said...

Oh, I want to second Jessica's comment. Me and my neighbours went and bought flashlights and batteries the day after the big quake. Thank God we were in a position to do so.

Claire Dawn said...

Thanks for remembering us in Japan.

It's hard to compare tragedy. Right now I don't feel like 10,000 deaths is really worse than 100. Especially not for the loved ones.

Glad you're safe.