Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Live in the Zone

So yesterday I tweeted this:

And I so meant it. As of right now, I've listened to the song 237 times. (I told you I get slightly crazy while rewriting...)

Anyway, soon after this, my friends over at @FigmentFiction tweeted me a link to Paradise Fears, a band that did an acoustic cover of the song.

The song is addictive as-is, but the cover as it's own sort of addictive quality. So, during writing breaks, I'd watch the video of them playing again and again.

One of the things I loved about it was the way the main singer gets totally into the song. Check him out at about the 1:40 minute mark--he is totally in that song.

He's in the zone.

Yesterday, I got to a point in the story where I totally fell into it. (It was the source of this status update, btw.) I was typing so fast that my fingers were skipping words as I trying to get the words in my head onto the computer screen. When I was finished, I was breathless and literally on the edge of my seat. And just like that, 2,000 words were written in about a half hour.

That doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's magic.

Whatever you do that you love--sing, write, paint, build--whatever it is, there has to be a moment when you enter that zone.

That's what I live for. That's why I love writing.
Post a Comment